Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

your homemade deer attractant

Old 07-22-2014, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

If the Deer are coming into the area anyway..regardless of how crazy things may get during the rut,...they will be there. The main thing is do not over do it with whatever ..cause the Deer WILL notice the difference. They always do....where I am we are polluted with deer, however they always know when season comes around. I would start now to be honest and prepare to pay a hefty price. More corn you put out, more they will eat and then you need to think about how you feel getting it where it needs to be with a couple 5 Gal. buckets....either that or if it is legal...buy a deer feeder. Good Luck!

Last edited by Christine B; 07-22-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Spike

I just made homemade deer attractant. Salt vanilla extract molasses apple juice. And poured it directly on a stump had 2 doe I'm 45 min. I don't shoot doe but in a week where does are the buck will be. Also I wonder if chewing apple skoal in your treestand attracts deer the only reason I say that is when I chew apple I seem to see more deer as opposed to chewing mint or cherry. I also see deer when I chew those flavors but I see a lot more when I chew apple
Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 PM
Banned

My girlfriends uncle owns an apple orchard. He lets me grab a couple buckets of free apples a month so I just dump a pile and stomp on a few to get the scent out there. Sometimes I'll grab a ziplock bag and fill it with salt and dump in on the apples and they love that. Table salt makes a good cover scent as well
Old 10-19-2016, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muzzleloaderhunter
My girlfriends uncle owns an apple orchard. He lets me grab a couple buckets of free apples a month so I just dump a pile and stomp on a few to get the scent out there. Sometimes I'll grab a ziplock bag and fill it with salt and dump in on the apples and they love that. Table salt makes a good cover scent as well
How does table salt make a good cover scent? How do you use it a cover scent?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SecondChance
How does table salt make a good cover scent? How do you use it a cover scent?

Pretty self explanatory. Put it in a ziploc bag and open the bag up and hang it on a branch. Or dump some on the ground by your set up. The salt smell attracts them and I've never had a deer smell me and bust me using this
Old 10-30-2016, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muzzleloaderhunter
Pretty self explanatory. Put it in a ziploc bag and open the bag up and hang it on a branch. Or dump some on the ground by your set up. The salt smell attracts them and I've never had a deer smell me and bust me using this
So you are using it more as an attractant than a cover scent for table salt has no smell. Gotcha.