Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What are you seeing in your scouting? >

What are you seeing in your scouting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are you seeing in your scouting?

Old 07-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What are you seeing in your scouting?

I managed to get myself out today to have a look. In this case, in an area where I saw a buck during last years antlerless season.

Saw two nice things: two places deer get funneled as they cross creeks.

I'm thinking that does use these two crossings a lot. The buck I saw was probably paralleling them downwind.

This has possibilities...
Old 07-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep us posted!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Just the normal summer travel patterns from bedding areas to the soy beans or the corn field.
Some does have a fawn some have twins.
Coyotes are on the prowl looking for them too.

Al
Old 07-13-2014, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

bears, did I mention bears !!!
Old 07-13-2014, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tracks and droppings. I've been scouting the river bottoms of northwest FL and northeast AL. Too hot and humid to get too far into the thick brush and too many cottonmouths and diamondbacks in there right now and the deer stay in the thick brush for shade. My serious scouting will start around late Sept or early Oct. I can hunt until the end of Feb and the patterns are completely different when it cools down so it is a waste of time to do a lot right now. Deer are pretty much nocturnal in this area when it is really hot.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Getting a trail camera set up would be a good idea. I have spent a record amount of time scouting due to a mild summer so far. The woods are thick and I have been setting trail cams on water crossings and other funnels that the deer use. It is easy to find the main trails when the woods are so thick, deer will clear a noticeable path in between bedding and feeding areas.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

bears, did I mention bears !!!
Very cool!

Getting a trail camera set up would be a good idea.
It would be useful, but $$$$
Old 07-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

I have several rack bucks coming to my feeding/ mineral sites with a couple of them
having good potential!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Lots of does and fawns. Good trails out to the soybean and hay fields but the last time I went out for a walk the mosquitoes chased me out of the woods. I've seen a few bucks later at night when I've gone shining (legal here in WI). I'm going to go check the cameras tomorrow so If I find a Sasquatch I'll be sure to let you all know.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:09 PM
Spike

I walked through a 100 acre creek bottom I just got access to on a 9,000 acre piece of property. Myself and my father jumped deer up all day we counted 38 found a truck bed full of sheds, got chased out of the woods by a big sow with piglets. My season looks like its going to be a great one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.