Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How to never get a serious poison ivy rash again >

How to never get a serious poison ivy rash again

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to never get a serious poison ivy rash again

Old 09-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Spike

move to an area where theres not much of it

That's a bad advice though I do not have great advice.

Waiting for nice suggestion
Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Spike

one note when you get into poison sumac you have less time to get it off your skin than poison ivy !!! also white vinegar will also cut and dry out the rash , sarana cream helps with the itch!!! Tecanu has extra grit scrubbers in it but I have used lava, gojo, dawn, ivarest foam !!! the vinegar does burn try witchhazel first then vinegar if you cant handle the burn!!! sitn at home with bad case of sumac!!!alcohol works if you can stand it !!!
Old 09-17-2014, 04:19 AM
Spike

Default FYI regarding Jewel Weed

Too many people believe in Jewel weed to not take it seriously, and scientists have taken it seriously, but so far have observed no benefit. That does not mean there is not a benefit in the field, but it may be due to merely applying a liquid to the area and rubbing which may remove some urusiol.

There are two controlled studies that I know of and in both, Jewel weed did not perform any better than a saline control or no treatment.

LINK: The effect of jewel weed in preventing poison ivy dermatitis. We designed a double blind, randomized and controlled clinical trial in human volunteers to test the effect of jewel weed juice in preventing poison ivy dermatitis. Twenty-five subjects were enrolled and had three areas on their forearms exposed to poison ivy leaves. The exposed areas received one of three applications: jewel weed juice, saline, or no agent. The subjects were assessed at 48, 72 and 96 h for severity of dermatitis and symptoms. No significant differences were found between the three categories in severity of dermatitis or degree of symptoms. With this model, it appears that jewel weed is not effective in preventing poison ivy dermatitis.
LINK: Treatment of Poison Ivy/Oak Allergic Contact Dermatitis With an Extract of Jewelweed. A randomized, double-blinded, paired comparison investigation was performed. Ten adult volunteers were patch tested to urushiol, the allergenic resin in poison ivy/oak. For each volunteer, one patch test site was treated with an extract prepared from the fresh stems of jewelweed; the remaining site was treated with distilled water to serve as a control. Sites were examined on days 2, 3, 7, and 9 with reactions graded on a numerical scale.

Results: All subjects developed dermatitis at each patch test site. There was no statistically significant difference in the objective scores at the sites treated with jewelweed extract versus the distilled water control sites.
I am not trying to dis the experience of those who feel that jewel weed has worked for them, only to let folks know that there is no scientific support for it so far and to caution you to not depend on jewel weed to prevent or treat a reaction.

In my view, it is possible to get some benefit from jewel weed because it is a very juicy plant and could be used to wash off the urushiol. What I recommend is to use any liquid, and if jewel weed is available go for it, but rub the liquid vigorously and then wipe with something. Do this at least three times and you may physically remove the urushiol. But it is unlikely that jewel weed has any kind of neutralizing or anti-inflammatory affect on urushiol.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the information.Have a wife and cousin that get it bad.Me I'm one of the lucky one's,I think I could eat it and it wouldn't effect me.(not planning to try it.LOL)
Old 10-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

My grandmother always scrubbed with a bar of Fels Naptha laundry soap. She says it is stronger then regular soap at removing oils. If we did get PI she would get some of the soap lathered up and wipe it on the rash and let it dry on there. That would help dry the rash and clear it up in a few days.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Great information. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Spike

I finally got rid of the ivy in my yard and I don't miss it!

Hutch
Old 01-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Good info. There is a joke on the island in southern Ontario that I spring turkey hunt on. They said that scientists identified 20 types of poison ivy plants and 24 of them where found to be on the island . I do what is suggested here and have been for years and it works. Years ago I asked the locals what they did and they all just do this. As far as being immune by contact or eating it I know people that have lived on this island for generations and they aren't immune I guess they need to eat more !
Old 02-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Spike

Thanks Jim for the great information. I've had a couple serious outbreaks years ago but I only catch it on small spots now. Mostly through avoiding the plant. I can recognize poison ivy in an instance. I will do the thorough washing from now on.

Thanks again,

Joe
Old 04-17-2015, 04:01 AM
Banned

Roger, yes Goop is great. It is a solvent based cleaner that is very efficient at removing grease and oil but the downside is that if you miss some and leave it on your skin, it might help to speed up entry of the urushiol through the skin. But as long as you rinse good after there is probably nothing better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.