Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How to never get a serious poison ivy rash again >

How to never get a serious poison ivy rash again

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to never get a serious poison ivy rash again

Old 07-11-2014, 04:26 AM
Spike

Thanks for sharing this with us! I had to get a steroid injection last year because of poison ivy. That sucked.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had such a severe case of poison ivy when Iwas about 12 years old that they gave me a series of shots. I don't know if that created an immunity or what, but very seldom have I ever been bothered again with it.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Spike

Good info.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
I was is the woods today rehanging and cutting shooting lanes. Was is the IVY today . When I came home I did what you said. Washed 3 times with Dawn. See what happens. Let you know in a few days. Thanks!!!!

Hatchet Jack
So far so good. 3 days later and no poison ivy. I would say your tip was a homerun with me! Thanks!!!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 07-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

For those of you that made comments without actually watching the video - it doesn't matter what kind of soap you use. All you need to do is use a damp wash cloth to take off the oil which remains on your skin. Its the friction and not the cleaner that removes the oil. This oil acts a lot like grease.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:30 AM
Spike

Its ......... looks great
Old 07-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Spike

I have only had poison ivy rash one time in my life and i hope to never have it again! Thanks so much man! http://besthuntingbinocular.com/
Old 07-22-2014, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Ridgerunner!! You live here in WV, certainly you know what Jewelweed is?? Some other names here are "bacon and eggs", "morning breakfast".....because of the small blooms on the plant this time of year. Jewelweed is an exceptionally good medicinal plant! For PI or SB it is great! Check out this link :http://www.altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

Last edited by Christine B; 07-22-2014 at 04:50 AM. Reason: new info
Old 08-02-2014, 02:55 AM
Spike

Default Lead

Now first off, I know lead isn't safe, lead poisoning, etc... But thought it may be interesting to some nevertheless. I worked on a farm and ranch. Poison Ivy was pretty common around. An old farmer used to wear a watch with a smashed down catfish weight around it. Asked him what that was about. He said the lead being in contact with your skin makes you immune to poison ivy. I am very sensitive to poison ivy, first sign of it, I'm at the Dr's office asking for a shot. I've had it bad, and worse. I was about 20 and figured I'd try it. It wasn't long before I wasn't getting any reaction from PI. I had that weight for a couple years on my watch. It broke, I didn't replace the weight on the next one. And sure enough, a couple months later I got PI again. Started getting it like I did before. But for those couple of years I had that lead weight on my arm, I never once had a single reaction even when I rubbed it on my arms.

I wouldn't have believed it had I not had my own experience with it. But just thought I'd share that. That was about 20 years ago. I just try to stay away from it rather than risk the lead issues today!
Old 08-29-2014, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Great tip.I too always wash up good after exposure but never knew it had that much of a residue effect.Itoo don,t get near the reaction I got when I was younger as well.I got the preventive shots when they were available about 25 years ago and they worked but were outlawed for some crazy reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.