Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The girl friend slug gun

Old 06-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Spike

Savage 212 w remington accu tip slugs and nikon scope
The 2 outside shots where sighing the gun in then you can see where the next 3 went. Bottom picture is at 50 and the top is over 125 yards.

I do love my savage but i don't know if i want basically 2 of the same gun just one in a 20 ga. Also as far as the gun being heavy i will be hunting with her so you can almost bet on who carries the gun to the stand! They do make an ultra light model is which is only 5 and a half pounds, the regular is 8ish.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Savage 220f all the way. This gun has no recoil and is a tac driver...
Old 06-19-2014, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

AlleyOOper, It is not the "Pull" of the gun, it is the reach to the foregrip. Some people have short arms.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have the $$$, look at the Savage 220 and Browning A-Bolt Shotgun. Both have a good reputation for reliability and accuracy. If your girl friend is small in stature, the Savage 220 comes in a youth model. NOt sure about the Browning.

I have only shot the A-Bolt. It shot great.

I bought my daughter a 20 Ga. Remington 870 slug gun, with an extra choke tubed fiel;d barrel for small game and birds. Set a 1.5-6x32 Leupold compact scope on it. Shots fine groups at 100 yard shots. Most shots down this way are not going to be much farther anyway.

Nothing wrong with an H&R slug gun. And a lot easier on the pocket book !! Just be sure to buy the best scope that you can possibly afford. A low power variable will do just fine.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fuzzbuster---Now that's some precision shooting!
Old 06-22-2014, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bump TTT!!!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bump again!
Old 06-24-2014, 04:33 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Originally Posted by fuzzbuster
Well got the girl friend through the hunter safety course now just to buy her a slug gun. Thinking and H&R 20 ga ultra slug with a nikon scope. Any other suggestions?
It's good to think through all that. I'm extra small, even for a girl, (4'7", 72-73 lbs.), so my husband was very careful to make sure that shooting would be fun.

I read a statement once by someone who said that the pain of recoil is insignificant when compared with the thrill of getting your deer. Evidently this person doesn't believe in practicing. Recoil can give you pain which would take the fun out and also cause you to start flinching.

A couple of things - heavier guns have less recoil. My favorite gun is my .50 caliber, Hawken style muzzleloader. My husband carries it for me until we get close to the deer. Male chauvinism? Yup, for sure. But I love being out in the woods with him.

He bought me a 20 gauge Mossberg for turkey hunting and had the stock cut down so it would fit me. (He also altered the muzzleloader's stock.)

So good luck. Remember to make it fun for her. She'll be very grateful.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murdy
I've heard those H&R slug guns shoot well, but they are heavy. I doubt she'd enjoy lugging one around in the woods all day.
Not necessarily. They make them in heavy barrel and in ultra-light. I've got an H&R in 12 gauge and mine is the ultra-light. I do more still hunting than stand hunting so I stayed away from the heavy barrel. Mine is easy to carry and it is very accurate as this spike in VA found out.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

I forgot about the Ultra-Light model. If I remember right, they are a little less expensive too. Nice guns either way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.