Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

is Camo really necessary?

Old 05-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Spike

Actually, for deer hunting, the most important thing you can do is wash your clothes with a non-UV preserving soap, then lay them outside for half the summer, flipping them every couple of weeks. Then wash them in that "hunting" laundry detergent from then on. If you sit in a chair using camo net like I do many times, this applies to that equipment too.

Deer see in UV spectrum. I've done some test that would blow your mind but I have deer walk within point blank range all the time. Texas A&M studies have shown that your clothes makes you look like a glowing blue blob. Apparently deer see certain colors but not like us. I have sat out back naked just to test these theories and its all true. Since you ain't gonna hunt naked, do the above process.

Texture and shadow would be more important than pattern

Interestingly, the same study says that Hunter orange actually produces a spectrum similar to foilage so if you didn't do anything else, orange would be the best camo.

An interesting note to my test further my belief in the UV theory. I've watched deer stare at a freshly painted deer box blind where they would not even pay attention to a faded one, even if they have been in the woods for ten years. I don't hunt box blinds personally but know plenty that do. UV, You bet!

Smells coming from behind the deer, movement, some sounds, and UV is your greatest enemy. Deer listen, they watch ahead of them, and smell whats behind them.

Piss and poop, human smells, don't even factor in. I've killed many deer after a night of oysters and beer, where my bowls decided to activate under my tree stand.

I see so much game, folks think I'm lying, so I have to kill something or take pics now and then.

Last edited by Ferguson Outfitters; 05-16-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

This depends a lot on how you are hunting. Im much more serious about camo when archey hunting, as opposed to hunting with a high-power rifle and watching a deer 200 yards out. It also depends on the time of year. I have had a buck run right towards me while I was sitting on a white plastic bucket during the rut. Sometimes when it is really cold we will sit on a hilltop in the truck and its not uncommon for deer to run right up past the truck. Again, this is during the rut and they get a little preoccupied. Camo def. isn't the first purchase I would make....
Old 05-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't matter when you're in your truck; it matters more once you get out of your truck !!!

Be stealthy and remaining motionless when "need be" is the most important IMO.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

How did primitive man kill with spears and bows eons before camo?
They lived outside and had a lot more vacation days with which to hunt.

Wonder what their success ratio was? Blown stalks?
Old 05-19-2014, 02:07 AM
Typical Buck

I think that the previous posts pretty much covered it. When I was younger, I hunted from the ground with a long or recurve bow. I really did not care care what I wore, as long as it was quiet. Usually a solid green surplus field jacket and what ever pants I had on. The only thing I worried about was my hands and face. When you spot someone in camo, it is always the white that catches the eye first. To this day I still wear brown cotton gloves when rifle hunting, even though I quit smoking years ago. I noticed a HUGE difference with gloves on. The smoke is not a problem, it is the hand movements. I have had deer within 8 feet of me with a steaming cup of coffee on the log and a cigarette in my hand. Wind direction is everything. Blaze orange? I like to use the camo orange. In laurel in the snow it seems to be invisible to deer. I have always thought experienced deer can pick out orange in low light or up against a dark background. UV studies are nonsense. I wash my clothes with regular detergent and always have. Another sales pitch. I did have a pet fox once and he was scared to death of people that walked toward him wearing camo. I don't know what that means, just some food for thought.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:41 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Breaking the outline seems to be key. I think your camo could be pink and yellow and it would be just as good. Ghillie suits offer the ultimate since they destroy your outline with the foliage effect. But even so, one must not move. Camo with no ghillie helps, but not 1/10 as much as the seller's would want you to believe - just a little bit better than an old-fashioned plaid checkered hunting shirt. For natural "ghillie" I like to hunker down inside some evergreens as much as possible.

I have been in blinds that were not brushed in and not behind trees and deer picked them out and then focused on them, alert for any sounds, smells, and sights. Brush the blind in good and no problem however.

Last edited by MZS; 05-19-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:46 AM
Spike

You can absolutely move if you produce no UV. I've walked around them naked scratching at leaves, they looked at me crazy but went about their business.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ferguson Outfitters
...I've walked around them naked scratching at leaves, they looked at me crazy but went about their business.
"They" might be onto something there!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Spike

I'm sure they are. But after reading all the crap studies, I just had to know!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

For many years "Studies" showed deer could only see black and white. What HS. I had a doe(Not a yearling)keep coming closer and closer stomping her foot when I was sitting behind a log. I thought she was looking at me. I had on a face net and she could not see my glasses. I had my quiver propped against the tree I leaning against, and that is what she was concentrated on. I had very bright dyed feathers on the arrows and she saw them. There were other deer milling about behind her and I knew it would end badly, so when she was just about in my face, I threw a handful of dirt at her. It was worth it to see it. This was long before the UV nonsense. Deer are not stupid, they learn (If they live long enough). The whole tree stand craze started because "Deer never look up". I have news for you, when they feel something is out of sorts, they start checking the trees. I have seen it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.