Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trophy Vs. Young buck

Old 04-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I'm focused on "management bucks" or mature trophy bucks.

ie... I'd rather take a 2.5yo 6pt 8pt than a 2.5yp 10pt/12pt

I want more of the 10's and 12's breeding vs. shooting nice 10pints when they're 2.5yo and letting inferior 6-8pt type bucks breeding.
Yeah that is the downside of point resrictions.

Better genetics get removed younger. That is why I don't like point restrictions.

Good genetics have 8+ points as 2 year olds. Meanwhile a mature 6 point just breeds away year after year.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Spike

Default Buck

That is why I like Wyo and Kansas. You get any deer. Which means buck or Doe . I passed several dinks and last minute popped a nice fat doe. She was delicious!!! If I had a Buck only, the first small 8 pointer was dead. I want something special or a doe. I will let that little 8 pointer grow up and maybe some young hunter will shoot him next year. But I like the meat too!! With those tags you get to choose and I am not held to shooting a little buck if I want to fill the freezer.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Spike

It must be nice to have the option of choosing between shooting a mature or young buck. In Vermont if you don't shoot the first legal buck (2 points on one side) there is a decent chance you may not see another legal buck the rest of the season. We don't have the firearm option for does. Bow season and muzzleloader by lottery only.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Older bucks are challenging to kill. I pass on many small bucks a year that could have been easily killable. I'm going after the old buck that has eluded many hunters. If you take on the challenge to kill the ghost of the woods, its a whole different ball game.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Yep, no little bucks for me. It's a big buck or does for the freezer.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

We like to let the Younger Bucks grow and Mature,if there's a Buck that can't seem to grow a nice Rack we have shot one like that and was plenty happy with the meat and I have given the hide away for a Taxidermist to use in mounting a different Buck on!

I've taken many Deer over the years and like to shoot a nice 8-Point or Bigger Buck and I have had several nice Bucks on my trail camera to where I could be much more selective and picky!Still as the Season goes on and Hunting gets tougher I'm just as happy with a nice Big Fat Mature Doe and I save a lot of money when I don't have a Big Ol Buck to mount!

Last year I passed on a decent Young 8-Point Buck....I knew I wouldn't have Him mounted so why waste a nice Deer that will be much better next year?Plus I ended up shooting a decent Doe later on and the Nephew wiped out the front of His Moms Mini-Van hitting a nice tender 7-Point Buck 2 weeks before Rifle Season so I was ahead of the Game from the start!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 04-18-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
Older bucks are challenging to kill. I pass on many small bucks a year that could have been easily killable. I'm going after the old buck that has eluded many hunters. If you take on the challenge to kill the ghost of the woods, its a whole different ball game.
Yep, its like hunting a different species.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by livcoop
It must be nice to have the option of choosing between shooting a mature or young buck. In Vermont if you don't shoot the first legal buck (2 points on one side) there is a decent chance you may not see another legal buck the rest of the season. We don't have the firearm option for does. Bow season and muzzleloader by lottery only.
That is not how it works for most of us. That is how it works on TV.

Most of us regular folks take that same chance of going home empty handed.

That is the price you pay to harvest the big boys.

I spend hundreds of hours in a tree from the time mosquitoes are swarming my face all the way through the time when I'm hunting in sleet,and freezing rain just on the hope that I get one chance.

Most of us don't just simply get to choose..... We pay the price to earn an opportunity.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Does in September bow season fill my freezer, Im only interested in bucks if they make my heart thump. Or if it's just an interesting little rack that I like. I let plenty of bucks walk before i take the one I want. More often than not that means immature deer walk.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should have added,a choice between a fat doe or a young buck,I'll take the doe every time.To me they just taste better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.