Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Pushing failure points - Backinthepines.com >

Pushing failure points - Backinthepines.com

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pushing failure points - Backinthepines.com

Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Spike

Default Pushing failure points - Backinthepines.com

It has become a normalcy to spend an hour shooting your bow in front of a target bag at 20 yards away. Then you dial it in at 30 and perhaps 40+ yards. What is rarely discussed is how little of an effect that has on your improvement as an archer for a real world hunting situation.

http://www.backinthepines.com/archer...-to-the-field/

Here is an article I wrote addressing some of those situations.

Practicing how you hunt is a sure way to be able to push those failure points and become a better archer, not only for shooting against your buddies in the backyard, but for those moments when it comes down to being able to bend 90 degrees downward out of your tree stand. Or shoot off handed on a buck coming from the opposite side. Or shooting out of a ground blind with limited room. Those moments make or break you.

-Robert
Old 04-05-2014, 05:35 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

You make a good point. As a ground-blind hunter, movement can be restricted, forcing you to pull back your bow with one hand while pushing forward with the other hand while you pull - this is a new group of muscles than what you would use for target shooting where you have one arm stiff and the other pulling back - and it can be exhausting. So it is good to set up the blind and pull from a concealed location in exactly the same way and do some target shooting. Also, I strengthen the muscles by pulling back that way daily, even if I do not have time to shoot. Also, it is good to go through all the motions of pulling from a concealed location in the blind and then easing into view and shooting. Ground blind hunting from 20 yds (or less) can be a real challenge!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Spike

Thanks for reading MZS! Glad you can relate to the situations I wrote about. Even if I can't make it out to shoot some days I still try to pull my bow back often just to strengthen the muscles exactly like you said. You can never be too strong!