Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Top 5 States?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know who lied to you fellas, but there aren't any big deer in Kansas. Half of our bucks don't even have antlers, and those that do are scrawny and have tiny antlers.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to say KS, WI, OH, TX, IA, KY, & IL. Oh wait, that's more than 5
Old 03-04-2014, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha, a good campaign to raise...

fees for non-resident hunters.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Southern Michigan Kansas, Idaho, Vermont and Texas.

Non Resident fees are about to go up here in Michigan as well as Resident fees. Going to force us to buy a small game license too even though we have no interest in small game hunting.

Al
Old 03-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

What are you defining as "trophy"? That's an important distinction because people have differnt ideas when it comes to trophy deer. If you're talking about the odds for a good mature buck for the average hunter without a guide then that is different than stricty record book deer. So, the original question can be taken 2 ways.

If you are serious about a buck that makes Boone and Crockett these states would give you the best odds based on recent record book entries:

Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Missouri

If you expand to include Canada then Saskatchewan and Alberta would need consideration as well.

If you are just after a good mature buck then I'd say that the following would be best:

Illinois
Missouri
Wisconsin
Eastern CO
The Dakotas

I pick those due to the number of good deer in relation to the herd sizes and the ease of non-residents to be able to hunt them on their own without a guide. That is why TX doesn't make my list because a non-resident isn't hunting without a guide there.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

For all you guys thinking Iowa is so great. It's not what it used to be. Way too much over harvest and with EHD the last two years we are really hurting when it comes to big mature bucks
Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
For all you guys thinking Iowa is so great. It's not what it used to be. Way too much over harvest and with EHD the last two years we are really hurting when it comes to big mature bucks
finally someone who stays up to date on deer hunting iowa USE to be good now its just above average. Your best states are Illinois, Wisconsin, and Ohio and look out for Kentucky in the next few years. INdiana would be if the regs weren't designed to slaughter all the deer so they will never be considered one of the best for growing trophy deer IMO.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:59 AM
Spike

Kind of depressing for us in Michigan. Our state is surrounded by states on the list with Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota....
Old 03-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

this was a little suprising to me: http://www.northamericanwhitetail.co...nting-in-2013/
Old 03-18-2014, 05:12 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Scratch N.WI off that list - there will only be about 10 deer left after this winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.