HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   alabama deer hunting - need advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/390006-alabama-deer-hunting-need-advice.html)

siffer 02-27-2014 07:27 PM

alabama deer hunting - need advice

Have 900 acres of private land I've bow hunted for years but have a new challenge now.

Live right by 150 acres of private land I'll be able to hunt for the first time this next season, but it's a lot different from what I'm use to hunting. 75% of the land is just pastures with some cows. There are some woods on the border around the place and also a strip down the middle separating the pastures. Put a camera out last week and have been putting corn in front of it most every day and already have a nice 8 point coming in. Only problem is all the pictures are at night.

Need advice or thoughts on where to hunt or what I could use to bring in these deer during hunting hours. Don't know if they are just scared to come out near the cows at night or its something else. Neighbors have a lot more timber and it seems like thats where they are coming from and going back to.

Would love any feedback or advice y"all got, thanks!

Erno86 02-28-2014 12:49 PM

I would tend to hunt the intersection of where the strip of woods meets the main woods, because that possibly be a buck's sneak route. How wide is the strip of woods? The main thing is not to let the buck know that you are on too him, so early in the preseason.

Sounds like you have a whitetail hunter's dreamland. How about the wild turkey population down there on the two properties, for as I live in Central Maryland?

Good luck

Erno

siffer 02-28-2014 04:06 PM

Well the strip doesn't ever really meet the big woods. From overhead the place is just an oval of pasture with the strip in the middle of it not connected to anything at either end. Only 30 yards thick at some spots and maybe up to 80 yards at other spots.

From what I have picked up on the only come to the strip once the sun goes down. When you get new land to hunt in your backyard its hard to not be all over it everyday after work haha, but i agree I might need to give it a little rest

siffer 02-28-2014 04:07 PM

Oh and more bucks, overall deer, and turkeys on the 900 acre land. its about a 2 hour drive from where i live though, where this 150 acres I could hunt in the morning before work. A lot different than what I'm use to though haha

GTOHunter 03-02-2014 06:24 AM

You probably need something to draw the Deer out to where You plan on Hunting.

Food Plot
This will continue to draw Deer in and will hold Deer in Your area if it's Big enough or has a combination of food that last further thru the Season.

Mineral and Salt Licks
Lucky Buck
Deer Cocaine
Square D
Good Ol plain white 50lb salt Block
Arm & Hammer salt lick etc etc etc...!

These will help draw Deer in also and it will help in Antler growth and help the Doe's produce milk for their Fawns in the Spring and Summer.

Anything You can do to improve the Area will improve on the Wildlife and Your Hunting.Deer need Cover/Bedding,Food and Water.....!

Another thing I've found out.....Cattle/Cow Pastures are areas most Deer don't like to come out in during daylight hours,they associate Cattle with Humans since they have to tend to the Cattle and that makes a Deer nervous and more Nocturnal.You may see Deer in a Pasture occasionally but it's usually in the early mornings or late evenings!It would be nice if the Land Owner moved the Cattle a month or 2 before Deer Season to let them get more comfortable.....and it's tough to maintain a Deer Goaled Food Plot within an area with Cattle unless it can be planted in a seperate fenced off location?

siffer 03-02-2014 05:59 PM

Mineral sites was about to be my next plan of action. I've used mineral sites before. Bought some premixed buckets that had dicalcium phosphate in them as well as other stuff I'm sure. Someone told me 50 lbs bags of salt was pretty much just as good and a lot cheaper so thats all I've used since then. You know how much difference there is between the two? As for food plots I couldn't keep the cattle off it so I'd thrown that idea out the window

Put out another camera today in another area, but from what I've seen from my other camera you're spot on. deer show up right around when the infrared kicks on, about 5:45 right now, and are there all night and lately been getting some pics up to about 7:30 am.

I can get the cattle to be gated off from areas I'm wanting to hunt for "a few weeks or so" according to the owner. Was one of my first questions.

Another thought I had was getting a timed feeder. setting it to throw out corn at like 8 am and 4 pm or something like that. Guessing those would be pretty pricy but could be worth trying if nothing else gets them to come out a little earlier

siffer 03-02-2014 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture of only non spike on cam yet. 8 point probably 3 1/2 years. Hoping to get him on a mineral site for when he starts growing his next rack

GTOHunter 03-03-2014 03:22 PM

Well most Pre-mixed Minerals You buy have mostly Salt in them any ways,read the Content Labels on any You consider and the largest amount of a Ingredient is listed 1st then each amount of other ingredient listed in order of amount.Most People don't use minerals or think they help but I think anything to improve the growth and health of the Deer Herd is a very good idea.I have pics of Deer using my Salt Block pretty well year round so adding mineral to the ground around it is a good idea and You can mix a Your own Minerals to make a mineral site and refresh it thru the year a lot cheaper!

If Your allowed to put out Corn the time release Feeders are a good idea if a Food Plot can't be done because of the Cattle?If Your going to Bow Hunt there You'll be able to pattern the Deer better and when it gets closer to the Rut I'm sure You'll see more Day Time movement!

GTOHunter 03-03-2014 03:28 PM

Moultrie has all types of Afforadable Feeders or if You want to make Your own homemade feeder a 3-5 foot piece of plastic PVC pipe 3 to 5 inch diameter a 45 degree fitting at the bottom and some cap covers to keep out the rain is simple and affordable! ;)

siffer 03-03-2014 05:50 PM

As far as the law and internet is concerned I will not be hunting over any corn. Thats all I'm gonna say about that

I'm really not very knowledgable on mineral sites. I've put out the 50 pound bags of salt at the place I've always hunted and seen them eat the clay down into a pretty decent sized whole. I've always wondered if salt really does much for antler growth or if its more of just an attractant. internet seems to have mixed reviews on it.

What would you say is the best to use as far as antler growth goes, and if I could buy and mix it myself like you were saying to save money what should I get?