Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
need tips on stand/feeder location. >

need tips on stand/feeder location.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need tips on stand/feeder location.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Spike

Default need tips on stand/feeder location.

Hey all , im fairly new to hunting white tail and have aways used an already set up deer stand in the past.

Recently I got permission to start hunting my inlaws property here in central Fl. This is a 15+ acre area with water source in the woods. I was walking the property and found the bedding area near the water source..

My questions:
1. how far away ( at least how many yards) do I set up the feeder and stand from the bedding area. Will i scare them off if im too close.. ?
2. feeder placement: on the trail or off the trail.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

JKU, I have always placed stands 75 to 100 yards from bedding areas. Your best bet is to first learn the deer travel patterns. Do the deer bed there at night or during the day. I would look for well made trails ones that look like a road very well beat down. If there is a food source on or near the property is also going to play into it. I like to place trail cams on trails and see what time of day and which direction the deer are coming from on the trail. I would also think about putting a camera on the pond, might be able to place a stand on other side of pond from bedding area. As for a feeder just place it where deer sign is found, might think about a mineral site somewhere around the pond in a shaded spot. Good Hunting.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Spike

I dont think it really matters where you put your feeder if you put it the general vasinity the deer will find it pretty quick as far as your stand you should the property real good you might find the ideal spot
Old 02-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fl has hog problem too dont they? Are you sure its deer and not hogs? also distance depends on what you are shooting...bow i would put your stand away from the trail and feeder 20-30yds...rifle maybe 50-60. Either way if you get hogs in there shoot them too!Good luck and post some results!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Spike

You might want to check your laws and regs about hunting over bait. If your state allows you to hunt over a feeder I would put it 50 to 60 yards from your stand no matter gun or bow. Once they find it they might make that place there bedding area if they havent alread so you want to put it far enough away so you dont bump anything on the way to your stand.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

How is the property configured? I.E. Square, rectangle, long and narrow?

The reason I ask is because 15 acres is a relatively small piece of earth to hunt on. I'm not saying that it can't be successfully hunted, but small areas present their own unique issues. It doesn't take much to push deer off of a piece of property that size, and if the surrounding property's are private your hunting could be over in a day or two.

If I can avoid them, I like to steer clear of bedding areas. Once they don't feel secure in their bedding areas the deer are going to be gone. Which of course is a big concern on a small piece of property.

A little more info about your situation like surrounding property's and such may help... It's tough to give a lot of advice with just a little info.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 02-10-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the replies and tips.. the property is connected to a larger property seperated by wire fence. from what I hear the other property is a hunting lodge. Because of them not much hogs left in the area.. State law is ok for feeder in private property. I placed a mineral rock in the middle of the trail cross section near the homemade corn feeder and water source

How can I tell if they bed there at night or day?
Old 02-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Florida you can bait all year(on private land) and if you have hogs you can hunt them all year.As a matter of fact they beg you to hunt the hogs all year.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JKUjeepHunter
Thanks for all the replies and tips.. the property is connected to a larger property seperated by wire fence. from what I hear the other property is a hunting lodge. Because of them not much hogs left in the area.. State law is ok for feeder in private property. I placed a mineral rock in the middle of the trail cross section near the homemade corn feeder and water source

How can I tell if they bed there at night or day?
Whether they're bedding day or night really isn't the issue with a bedding area. If your encroaching on the bedding area the deer will figure it out. The 100yd boundary someone mentioned earlier is the same rule I follow when dealing with bedding areas.

Tcams on trails, and in feeding areas will give you an idea of the times of the deers movements. If they're like any typical deer in my area they will be active both day and night.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 100% with Lunkerdog on the bedding reply. Matters not if the deer are bedding there day or night, or both. Once spooked out of that 15 acres a couple of times, they are going to be very skiddish about returning.

Yuo did not mention it, but do the woods on that propperty have acorn bearing oaks? If so, that might be your best early season bet. As far as a feeder location. I'd back it off the bedding area. The deer will find it. I have hunted on property in Ark. and Tex. where timed spin feeders were set up. Most of the stands these folks have set up have been 100-200 yards from the feeder.

Why not plant you a 1/2-3/4 acre food plot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.