Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Slugs

Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Spike

Default Slugs

Hi all!
I have a super Magnum 11-87 12gauge and I am curious. Does anybody make a 3 1/2" slug?? I have browsed both the Remington and Winchester websites and can't find any on either. only up to 3". I am a little recoil happy.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightfield Commander 3 1/2" Sabot Slugs. Enjoy!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen them on the shelves here in VA. But they don't stock as many of the 3 1/2 inch as they do 3 and 2 3/4. Having shot a number of deer with slugs, I don't see why you would want or need a 3 1/2. There isn't a deer alive that will survive being hit in the vitals with a 3 or a 2 3/4 slug.

And, anyone claiming to be "recoil happy" probably doesn't have a lot of actual hunting and shooting experience. Heavy recoil leads to sloppy shooting especially on the second shot.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I like my 20Ga. slug gun. After shooting friends 12ga's It is what I chose. I also found out that the 2 3/4" shoot best in it I think the 3" shells make the sabot spin in the rifling as they are not as accurate.

Al
Old 01-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I like my 20Ga. slug gun. After shooting friends 12ga's It is what I chose. I also found out that the 2 3/4" shoot best in it I think the 3" shells make the sabot spin in the rifling as they are not as accurate.

Al
***You lost me on that one because the rifling in a shotgun or rifle barrel IS designed to impart spin to the projectile!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

I had a similar experience to Alleyyooper, though I didn't attribute it to too much spin. My accuracy would degrade when I shot shells with a high muzzle velocity (i.e., SST's). When I switched to something slower (Copper Solids), accuracy was fine. My theory was the rifling had trouble biting into the faster rounds, which would then slide across without picking up as much spin, and I'd end up shooting knuckle balls. (which was probably compounded by the fact that my slug gun had a short barrel). 3" shells probably are generally faster than 2 3/4.

I switched from a 12 to a 20 gauge a few years ago, and am glad I did. I actually enjoy shooting my slug gun now.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murdy
I had a similar experience to Alleyyooper, though I didn't attribute it to too much spin. My accuracy would degrade when I shot shells with a high muzzle velocity (i.e., SST's). When I switched to something slower (Copper Solids), accuracy was fine. My theory was the rifling had trouble biting into the faster rounds, which would then slide across without picking up as much spin, and I'd end up shooting knuckle balls. (which was probably compounded by the fact that my slug gun had a short barrel). 3" shells probably are generally faster than 2 3/4.

I switched from a 12 to a 20 gauge a few years ago, and am glad I did. I actually enjoy shooting my slug gun now.

***Okay, I see where you're coming from in that there could be a problem with no spin due to velocity being too high for certain ammo to use the rifling like it's designed to impart spin and stability to the projectile. I guess, therefore like the previous member stated, that there would be "slippage", rather than spinning being imparted.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-29-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

All that you mentioned certainly comes into play depending on the particular gun and ammo you're feeding it!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
I've seen them on the shelves here in VA. But they don't stock as many of the 3 1/2 inch as they do 3 and 2 3/4. Having shot a number of deer with slugs, I don't see why you would want or need a 3 1/2. There isn't a deer alive that will survive being hit in the vitals with a 3 or a 2 3/4 slug.

And, anyone claiming to be "recoil happy" probably doesn't have a lot of actual hunting and shooting experience. Heavy recoil leads to sloppy shooting especially on the second shot.
This. I agree with.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Spike

Thanks! I'm not too sure I will hunt with them. 2 3/4" do the job fine. I want to get some to target shoot to see the difference. And trust me... I have a lot of hunting and shooting experience. Where I'm from, in ohio, we do drives with 20 people therefore, mostly get running shots. Want a faster slug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.