Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

roadkill salvage report

Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default roadkill salvage report

Well I got to use a Roadkill salvage report. A friend and I were driving to a lumber store and saw a recently dead deer on the side of the road so we said if its there on the way back lets take a look at it. Sure enough it was still there. Pulled over and got out and looked at it. Its head was smashed and felt like some ribs were broken but otherwise still intact and it was still warm in 27 degree temps so it couldn't have been there too long. so we loaded it up and I filled/called it in...no fee's

It was a mature doe...We skinned and gutted it. it had gotten hit so hard that it separated the loins/backstraps from the spine...and broke the shoulder and skull was smashed. And very little bloodshot or damaged meat I'll say we got 95% of the deer meat. My wife cooked up a roast last night! This is prob the least ive worked to get a deer lol
Old 01-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cool! I'm glad it didn't go to waste. Unfortunately I saw a dead doe a couple miles from the house on the way to Mass this morning, but it must have been hit pretty hard last night as it wasn't salvageable and the whole thing will go to the yotes and other critters.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job on the salvage 47. Here in MO, many, many deer get killed on the roads. I doubt if many are salvaged, there are certainly many that are not and rot beside the road. With the economy as it is, this waste should not be. Many familys could use that meat--and it would cost very little. Maybe a system of some sort could be devised to save some of it. Maybe a phone number to call when you hit one, or see a fresh kill, and some volunteers that could come and check it out right away. Maybe your local sheriff would let folks call his office, or some other number that is answered 24/7. A list of volunteers would be needed to check it out and save what they can. They could keep the meat or give it to someone that needs it. Make the rules that would work locally. How about "Operation Save the Meat" or something catchy for a name. Beef just went up here. What do you think??
Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Good work! I have only run across 2 or 3 road kills all year (which is amazing given all the driving I do) - population is way down and this winter is not helping. The last one that had possibilities had some critters chewing on it so I passed.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I worked for the Colorado Highway Dept for a couple of years. We salvaged a lot of roadkill mulies and elk. What we didn't want for ourselves the game warden gave to the less well off people in the county. Since we drove every inch of highway in our area at least twice a day we knew when one was fresh. Lots of venison was used rather than rotting on the side of the road.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I salvage when I can. just cause it was killed by a vehicle, don't make it any worse than shooting it. But, with my chosen profession, salvaging is a little difficult. Kinda hard to explain to customers, why there is blood on their freight.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
I salvage when I can. just cause it was killed by a vehicle, don't make it any worse than shooting it. But, with my chosen profession, salvaging is a little difficult. Kinda hard to explain to customers, why there is blood on their freight.
Time to carry a tarp

There have been a some Ive missed out on in the last year...2 elk and at least 2 deer and a moose. I wouldnt mind it going to needy families...