Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Crust on snow.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I think the 60% figure is pretty close to what we are seeing at deer camp. Here at home we have really put the hurt on them and we rarely hear them any longer.
But a 6 1/2 hour drive seems out of the question for most of the guys.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 01-31-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

In order to purchase the Wolf permits don't you also have to have a valid hunting license as well? Seems to me that if that was the case then the DNR and what they do for habitat benifited. Yes I want to see the total quota amount of wolfs killed but at least you recieved some benifit.

CVG Ohio
Old 01-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CVG Ohio
In order to purchase the Wolf permits don't you also have to have a valid hunting license as well? Seems to me that if that was the case then the DNR and what they do for habitat benifited. Yes I want to see the total quota amount of wolfs killed but at least you recieved some benifit.

CVG Ohio
That's kind off a yes and no here in MN. You don't have to have a "current" valid license, but have to have had one in the past. IMO, it's a bit of an odd requirement. Why should I have to buy a hunting license for another season (deer/small game) if all I want to do is trap a wolf? That's not the case for me, but I can see it being so for someone else.

I'm not sure about other states. I believe that Idaho sells OTC wolf tags. Here in MN you have to be drawn in a lottery to be eligible to buy a wolf license, as well as the above mentioned requirement of a prior, or current hunting license.

From the MNDNR regs.

Who is Eligible? All applicants must present proof of a previous or current hunting license in order to apply. All applicants born after December 31, 1979 must have a valid Firearms Safety Certificate prior to purchasing a license, unless they are a Minnesota resident under age 13 or have not had their small game hunting privilege suspended pursuant to M.S. Section 97A.421. Persons born after December 31, 1989, who have not been issued a trapping license in a previous license year, may not obtain a wolf trapping license without a trapper education certificate.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 01-28-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

"All applicants must present proof of a previous or current hunting license "
Literally, that seems to say it doesn't have to be a Mn hunting license? Do you know what they're charging non-residents for a wolf tag?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Murdy, IMO they ain't cheap.

WOLF- Nonresident Early Firearm Season - Code 682
$ 250.00
WOLF- Nonresident Late Firearm Season - Code 684
$ 250.00
Old 01-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

No, that ain't cheap. Same as Wisconsin though. Hard to justify spending the money for a season that can close anytime when the quota fills. But, I got in on the ground floor for Wisconsin preference points, so I suppose someday I'll end up giving it a shot. Have to see how things go for a few years though.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Spike

Here in P.a I dont think we have wolves but we do have way to many yotes I no a guythat traps them and he does very well he tells me he cant get them to come to a call though
Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Resident wolf tag in Michigan was $100.00 1500 sold only 46 wolves could be harvested though.
Only 23 were harvested in the end though. I think the anti tree huggers bought a bunch of the tags.
Coyotes will come to calls, You just have to figure out which one will work today. They don't always like the squalling rabbit and many time are shy of that call as it is what a lot of newbies start with and educate the coyotes to it.

Al
Old 02-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang Al, that seems expensive for a resident tag... How much do your other resident licenses cost?

Our resident whitetail, and wolf license cost me @ $30.00... If I had bought the small game license this year it would have cost me $22.00... My cost for all 3 licenses $82.00...
Old 02-04-2014, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Here is a link for the cost of licenses for resident and non resident.
I am over 65 so pay the senior fees.

http://michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153...3829--,00.html

They were going to raise several of them almost double a couple years ago. The states biggest sportsman club was backing the DNR saying it would bring Michigan in line with the cost in other surrounding states. they changed their tune when thousands of Michigan sports men started dropping their membership and sending the cost list from other surrounding states and telling the Clubs ex board to wake up and learn how to use the internet.
Did take long and the pressure for the DNR to truly justify the raise in fees and it was dropped.

The season should be opened to all year on coyotes I think. I don't know to many guys who take the time to hunt them in the summer any way.

At least the snow has now once again gotten fluffy so the coyotes are not able to stay on top and run the deer. Deer are pretty much staying on established trails now. We have 8 in the yard all day long now too. several are coming into the front door garden and eating off the burning bush and spirea bushes. they are still working the corn fields too along with the turkeys.

Al