Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Non-typical City monster!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:48 AM
Spike

I've never heard of a "shed trap" working. Mostly they scare big bucks away.

If you could put some bait inside of a 10 foot round fence so that they have to jump over to get in--- the impact of landing tends to help deer drop antlers. That's why so many are found along fence rows.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Spring tom
I've never heard of a "shed trap" working. Mostly they scare big bucks away.

If you could put some bait inside of a 10 foot round fence so that they have to jump over to get in--- the impact of landing tends to help deer drop antlers. That's why so many are found along fence rows.
This is the best Shed trap I've heard so far. Safe and effective!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Spike

Thanks for the heads up about shed traps. As far as I have been able to find, it doesn't really mention anything about them being illegal...

I have had really good luck with them elsewhere. I take high lb test clear fishing line a tie it tight between trees along a highly traveled path, usually works really well and doesn't scare the deer(from what I have noticed). Fence is not a bad idea but its not my house so I don't think the owner would appreciate me putting one in just to get some sheds
Old 01-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bigus awd223
Thanks for the heads up about shed traps. As far as I have been able to find, it doesn't really mention anything about them being illegal...

I have had really good luck with them elsewhere. I take high lb test clear fishing line a tie it tight between trees along a highly traveled path, usually works really well and doesn't scare the deer(from what I have noticed). Fence is not a bad idea but its not my house so I don't think the owner would appreciate me putting one in just to get some sheds
Careful... Things like fishing line, and rubber snubbers are potential deer killers to some around here

Okay kidding aside... I can see where high lbs test fishing line could create many unintended consequences... Rubber snubbers, not so much.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 01-23-2014 at 08:08 PM.