Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

20 gauge brenneke ko for deer

Old 01-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Spike

Kerndog, I don't know where you are at, but in the Great Lakes area there are sporting goods stores called Dunham's. I get my 12 gauge Lightfields there for $11.99. I went into Gander Mtn and they wanted $17.99 for them...
Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
What I do is I just randomly buy ammo all year long. Every couple weeks I pick up a $16 box when I'm at the store for whatever reason.
100% agree!! The ammo prices have rised but when i see it i just buy a box or two. Over time it adds up but you can barely tell, i don't mind recoil so i shoot year round. I like to stay familiar with all of my firearms as much as I can. As far as the topic on the ko slugs, i used them in my 12g to try out and was not a fan honestly, little inconsistent. I shoot with iron sights on my slug barrel. On paper i would not go with anything else other then Rem accutip or Hornady SST. I personally see better results with and prefer the SST.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Kerndog, I don't know where you are at, but in the Great Lakes area there are sporting goods stores called Dunham's. I get my 12 gauge Lightfields there for $11.99. I went into Gander Mtn and they wanted $17.99 for them...
Seems to me as though Gander had been capitalizing a bit more than most on the ammo situation, and that they're prices have been up compared to a lot of their competitors across the board. I still shop there, but I watch the prices a lot closer than I used to.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:50 AM
Spike

In MA at Dicks Sporting Goods and Bass Pro it's around and under $10 a box.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kerndog
That's just my point, I like to shoot throughout the year, and not just one week before the gun season here in ohio, at 16 or 17 dollars a box this is impossible for me to do. Besides that I am beginning to think some of the ammunition companys are just trying to rape me !!
100% Understood. BUT!!! Why not shoot the cheaper stuff to keep your eye and reflexes up and on, but when it comes to meat time, drop in the quality stuff and letr eat!!!!!!! Still are getting the best of both worlds, trigger time, but eatn later to boot!!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Federal is putting out sabots in their Fusion line under $10.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/418...-slug-box-of-5
Can save a few bucks there. I seem to remember seeing other sub $10 sabots when I was looking around last fall, can't remember who made them. I don't know anything about their performance though.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Federal 20ga. power shok saboted slugs these slugs for 20 ga. have a good reputation and many who used to use the Remington Buck Hammers have switched to them. since they are about 10.00 a box.

Have you looked into reloading your 20ga hulls with BPI conponets?

Al
I've never reloaded shot shells, but do reload metallic cartridges... IMHO For those that like to shoot a lot reloading is something to seriously consider... I learned a heck of a lot when I started to load my own cartridges, and talk about a relaxing pass time... Before I started to reload I would never have guessed the great satisfaction I feel from loading my own cartridges.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

These slugs are good and do shoot well every deer we have shot died with in 20 yds or less thats 15+ never shot onefarther then 70 yds
Old 01-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
I've never reloaded shot shells, but do reload metallic cartridges... IMHO For those that like to shoot a lot reloading is something to seriously consider... I learned a heck of a lot when I started to load my own cartridges, and talk about a relaxing pass time... Before I started to reload I would never have guessed the great satisfaction I feel from loading my own cartridges.
***I'm the same way and didn't get into reloading for several rifles until an older friend gave me all his equipment a few years ago. I wish I had done it 3 or 4 decades ago when I was really shooting a lot because now it's more the satisfaction of making something myself to take an animal with than any cost savings involved.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I work for Winchester. I just can't bring myself to do it at home although I should.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.