Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone else build their own stands? >

Anyone else build their own stands?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone else build their own stands?

Old 10-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone else build their own stands?

I was just wondering who else built their own stands. I have always made my own stands untill this year. My son is 8 years old and has hunted with me going on three or four years now, I always make sure I take him out a few times each year to a ground blind. He wants to get up in my ladder stands but they are one man stands. I told him I would build a two man stand this year and my wife immeadiately went out and bought one. She said I could sit in something I built all day but her son wasn' t getting in it with me(lol). I have some prints for a chain on stand also but I have never built one, I kind of prefer the ladder stands.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Spike

Default RE: Anyone else build their own stands?

The stands we usually build are permanent, wood stands. Most of em have room enough for 2 or 3 people, with roofs. We have a couple blinds built out of logs that were layin around and brush that we cut. For maintenance of these we usually cut a few new branches and lean them up against the stand or stick them in between the logs
Old 10-02-2003, 12:11 PM

do u have a blueprint of the ladder stand that u make? thanks, who_else
Old 10-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a blueprint of the ladder stand, would you like a copy?
Old 10-02-2003, 06:23 PM

i built 1.5 stands so far. thats because ive got one right now that i need to put some boards on before its finished. THe first one really is the second one though since its moving because i put it facing the wrong way last year and the deer kept walking behind me
Old 10-02-2003, 08:50 PM

yes please, email them to me if u can. who_else
Old 10-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

duckhunter may I have a copy too please? My email is: [email protected]
Old 10-03-2003, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve got close to 20stands laying around (or hanging around since we' re in season now), I' ve had several stolen, and I' ve built them for others too, but if memory serves me correctly, I' ve only ever bought one stand (garage sale), and I' ve had maybe three others given to me as gifts (also bought at garage sales or at auctions).

You want something done right, you' ve got to do it yourself. You' re the only one that knows what you need from a stand, so usually it' s better to put something together yourself.

I usually like to build chain on stands, and I use climbing belts and cleats to get in and out, it' s a bit more hassle, but it keeps people from being able to steal them, one time, someone stole my screw in steps, and left my stand way up there, so I just started using the cleats. I' ve built and used ladder stands, but usually only when I have a specific position in mind, since the height is pretty well limited, even if you make it adjustable, fifteen feet or so is about as high as you want them.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:08 AM

I agree. you want a stand built right then i have to make it yourself. I have around a dozen wooden stands built that are fit for a king and they really didn' t take all that long to build all you need is an afternoon, lumber, nails, saw, page wire, grass, and a little imagination. I' ve built stands all different sizes and shapes, the main thing is just find the trees you want to build on and start planning how will i make this work. just about any design is possible off of 2 or three trees. when my stands are built i weeve tall grass through page wire to make about a 4 foot blind and then using fence staples, staple the blind to the trees my stand is built on. These grass walls seem to work really well for me just and idea to consider.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:34 PM

I make some of my own hang-on stands.

Quick Reply: Anyone else build their own stands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.