HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Block and Tackle for Draggung Deer Out? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/388745-block-tackle-draggung-deer-out.html)

BamaHuntin 01-07-2014 04:58 PM

Block and Tackle for Draggung Deer Out?

Any of you guys use a block and tackle to get your deer out of tough areas? Where I hunt is pretty steep and I'm not able to get my 4-wheeler down to. Often times I hunt I'm by myself and killing a deer means trying to round up a bunch of buddy's to help drag a deer several hundred feet or more up a Mtn. This past weekend I had a hard time finding available help. Thought if a block and tackle would work I would keep one on my 4-wheeler.
If any of you guys use this method or have any knowledge would you mind recommending one? I've seen several but not sure how cheap I should go, and what size I would need.
Thanks in advance.
JE

Topgun 3006 01-07-2014 05:04 PM

If you can get close enough to the deer legally with the quad, why not put an electric winch on the front of it for a scenario like you mentioned?

buckwild41 01-07-2014 05:26 PM

Never used the block and tackle but I have had to do the winch ATV method a few times. The B&T will work but I think you are going to run out of rope length most of the time. Have you or can you work with your ATV and a 100' of static/low stretch rope? I have done this and seems to do ok for me. The only trick you need to work out is you really need someone there to watch the animal while you are at the top of the hill hitting the winch button or driving the atv. The deer will get hung up and if you can't see it there's trouble.

If you do have a winch on the ATV you can pick up an additional shot of cable cheap. I added 40ft of cable with loops on each end that gives me roughly 80 ft reach from the winch without adding rope. The cable with looped ends, pulley and a couple of shackles are nice additions to your winching system..

good luck..

BamaHuntin 01-07-2014 06:20 PM

The ATV is completely out of reach, and I would not be able to acces the switch. In all reality I'm probably atleast 200 yards down the Mtn, maybe more depending on how far the deer goes. This past weekend was a bad one. Their are some parts I could drag by myself. I would be using the b&t on the steeper slopes by just attaching to a tree. With 100' of rope I could haul him 100' at a time when need be. Like I said, not all would need to be hoisted, possibly half.

kswild 01-07-2014 06:56 PM

Sometime in situations such as you have mentioned what I have done in the mountains around my place in Arkansas Quartering and packing out or get the 4 legged mule to help pull or pack ...all the block and tackle you'll ever need. :) Round my place in the mountains of NW Arkansas Some of them hollers are / straight up!

flags 01-07-2014 09:26 PM

Bone it out where it hits the ground. Most mammals are about 42-45% edible meat and the rest is bones, hide, head, guts and blood. Even a big buck of 200 lbs live weight can be brought out in 2 loads max by a guy in decent shape. An average buck only requires 1 trip.

I haven't drug a deer 5 feet in over 20 years. I always carry a packframe, 6 game bags, 2 knives, parachute cord and a small folding bone saw. I don't see the logic in packing out a bunch of bones and inedible parts when the coyotes and buzzards need to eat too. That's their share and I leave it in the field for them.

CVG Ohio 01-08-2014 05:55 AM

I saw a post on here from a guy in West Virginia that used a block and tackle to get his Deer out of steep places. He had pictures in the post. I tried a search and came up with a lot of links some did not apply. Hopefully the guy from WV will see this post and answer. He Did have good information on it and he uses an ATV also.

Good Luck,
CVG Ohio

crokit 01-08-2014 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4114324)
Bone it out where it hits the ground. Most mammals are about 42-45% edible meat and the rest is bones, hide, head, guts and blood. Even a big buck of 200 lbs live weight can be brought out in 2 loads max by a guy in decent shape. An average buck only requires 1 trip.

I haven't drug a deer 5 feet in over 20 years. I always carry a packframe, 6 game bags, 2 knives, parachute cord and a small folding bone saw. I don't see the logic in packing out a bunch of bones and inedible parts when the coyotes and buzzards need to eat too. That's their share and I leave it in the field for them.

Learned my lesson several years ago while hunting the Adirondacks near the High Peaks Region. Been hunting there since the early '70s. I've taken quite a few big buck-125+ class 160+lbs. Each one I dragged to camp, canoed to a trail, and hauled out nearly 5 miles on a fire trail. This included two bear, 170-180 lbs. NEVER AGAIN.
Past three years, the buck has been hung and boned where it dropped. Very little, if any, meat 'wasted '.

I don't carry the equip that FLAGS speaks of while on the hunt. It's left in camp until needed. A mile or so walk back to camp for the boning gear is SO much easier than a drag of that distance I couldn't imagine trying to accomplish this using block and tackle, regardless of how far, especially by myself.

DIY_guy 01-08-2014 08:27 AM

I use a block and tackle all the time to get my deer into the back of my RAM as the bed is too high for one person alone to load a buck. Whatever it takes to make it easier on the back to move a deer. My block and tackle would fit in a jacket pocket so taking it in the field would be a snap.

Wilcam47 01-08-2014 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4114324)

yep...if its that far no point in dragging bones uphill. just quarter/debone and pack out.