Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Coyote Problems?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Spike

Coyotes may be canines, but trust me they are nothing like your pet dog. Like others stated, you're gonna have to go lethal. I love dogs, but I have no problem dropping a coyote. We've had a spike in the coyote population in the last 5 years and it has affected other game. We have seen less yearling deer in the fall, rabbit population is down, turkey population is down, and we haven't seen or even heard a pheasant in 4-5 years. Try to find an experienced coyote trapper or hunter in your area and seek their help. Coyotes are very intelligent animals and will learn quickly from your mistakes, which will make them harder to kill.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coyotes are very intelligent animals and will learn quickly from your mistakes, which will make them harder to kill.
Yup, no doubt there are many that would argue that they're the most resilient canines in the U.S.

Get as many as you can early, because they'll just keep getting harder too get once you start.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coyotes are not only VERY adaptable, but very territorial as well. I just got my Chocolate Lab pup a 1-1/2yr ago in Sept. I live out in the counrty. By Nov. I found coyote scat by his kennel next to my outside garage next to my pool. I have trapped for nearly 35yrs, so I know 'yote crap when I see it. Set some sets in the field behind the house by his kennel and caught a female yote within the week. After I caught her, no more piles. I figure she thought my lab pup was a new canine in her area and a threat.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Topgun, yep, it is. Its just half of one though. I'm sure another coyote got the second half. I was not very happy when I got that picture. This year we did get a couple with coyotes with baby raccoons in their mouth. If I'm going to get a coyote pictures, I'll take one with a dead coon in its mouth.

Lunker, at a least you got a little revenge! Hopefully next year you can get one for yourself!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

We hunt coyotes all the time and love it. You can hunt an area enough it drives them out for a while but they will be back again since there are so many and they have litters every spring just like pet dogs. there normal range is about 25 square miles.
We mostly use 22cal. center fire rifles like the 220 Swift, 22-250, 222 and 223's. We hunt when it is windy also and switch to 6 MM to 25 cal center fires. We do use shot guns in tight areas usually 12ga. loaded with # 4 buck.

We have all made our own E callers we hook to a MP3 player loaded with sounds from Varmint Al's web sight or wind rivers site.
You can sell whole frozen animals if you don't want to skin them by searching for the right buyer. You will get about 25% of fur market price for them.

Not any harder than a deer to skin. Buyers will discount a hide if it has to big of holes in it. You need to learn how to sew and also where to shot them and not blow the bullet up on a bone.

This is my home made E caller I have just a tad less than 50.00 invested in it. Uses all Radio shack parts except the cup and the specker.

Al
Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool looking Homemade Caller Alleyyooper!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

I'm gonna get em. I heard my outside dogs howling earlier and I knew there were coyotes close. I stepped outside and there was a bunch of em howling just about 200 yards in front of the house.

We used to have quail around but they've disappeared. The rabbit numbers are way down as well. I've got the perfect spot to sit tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bristowboy_20
I'm gonna get em. I heard my outside dogs howling earlier and I knew there were coyotes close. I stepped outside and there was a bunch of em howling just about 200 yards in front of the house.

We used to have quail around but they've disappeared. The rabbit numbers are way down as well. I've got the perfect spot to sit tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
I see that you give distances of how close you think they are. Coyotes voices carry FAR farther than most people even begin to know. We have watched coyotes answer back to lone coyote bark and challenge sounds from our caller and then answer back at distances over 1/2mi only to sound like they were in our laps!!!!! Especially now that the air is heavy and damp, it really carrys.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Like the old saying if you don't want any thing to change DO NOTHING.

Hinting coyotes to get the numbers down is as important as working to plant food plots. The buck you didn't see this hunting season was probably the fawn the coyotes killed and ate in the spring of 2012.

No need for special equipment really either Just a simple 10.00 mouth call squalling rabbit or howler, a shot gun with #4 buck or any deer rifle if you don't plan on selling the hides. that will do the job and don't expect to become a coyote killing machine over night. I hunted them for a year before I was able to call n my first one.
Works best we think if we hunt in pairs also as 4 eyes are better at spotting the slinking coyote in the grasses and brush.

Word of mouth of our coyote hunting has gotten us permission to hunt land we could never hunt any thing on before but being safe and ridding the land owner of the coyote problem has gotten us permission to hunt about any thing on that land now.

Al
Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Studies show that coyotes kill about 70% of the fawns that are born. Do something or your deer hunting will get worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.