Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Great way to start off the new year!! >

Great way to start off the new year!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Great way to start off the new year!!

Old 01-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Great way to start off the new year!!

A friend and I decided to go out coyote hunting on Jan. 1st, me never have coyote hunted before didnt know what I was in for. The first three set up we did with no yotes showing up but a flock of toms walking with in 10 ft of me so that was pretty cool. Than the last sit of the day we just get set up and start calling and boom a coyote comes running into the call my buddy shoots him at 40ish yards, me being all excited started going over to him when he says to stay still more might come so he started calling again, I look up and theres another one about 70 yards coming right to me!! he got to about 10 yards when I stopped him and put him down...my first coyote on the first day of the new year!
Attached Thumbnails Great way to start off the new year!!-2014-034.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not bad for a yote rookie!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:56 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Good work! A few more deer predators eliminated.

And your photo demonstrates why many reported wolves are really coyotes.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MZS
Good work! A few more deer predators eliminated.

And your photo demonstrates why many reported wolves are really coyotes.
Maybe a good call, but the OP didn't mention where he was hunting.

My point being, there are many areas where the yotes, and red wolves cross breed. As well as areas where the reds, and the greys cross breed.

I'd have to do some digging, but maybe the breeding between the reds and the greys has been over exaggerated, or even dis-proven, but I know the subject held up the Great Lakes Basin wolf hunt in the courts.

That said, I had to do a double take, and enlarge the photos... IMO the critters have some very wolfish traits. The ears was the first thing that drew my attention, as well as the muzzle of the one on the right. The tail, and muzzle on the one on the left look yotish, can't say fer the one on the right.

Maybe some different angles would help.

I should add as a caveat that I come from wolf country, and don't see yotes very often... The last one I remember seeing was the Winter of 99. From any pics I've seen over the years show that yotes tend to have bigger ears, and a fox-like muzzle. Though I guess the ears could be a regional thing as well... Being larger the farther South you go.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 01-02-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Topgun im hooked on it now!
and Im in Ontario, Canada.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by whitetail94
Thanks Topgun im hooked on it now!
and Im in Ontario, Canada.
I was doing some digging and editing as you were posting... Yer location could certainly explain my comment on the ears.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

I don't have anything other angles that would really help the one the right had really bad mange. Where I am I know we have a really high coyote population but not alot of wolves
Old 01-03-2014, 06:17 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
I should add as a caveat that I come from wolf country, and don't see yotes very often... The last one I remember seeing was the Winter of 99. From any pics I've seen over the years show that yotes tend to have bigger ears, and a fox-like muzzle. Though I guess the ears could be a regional thing as well... Being larger the farther South you go.
Many years back me and a buddy were fishing up in N.MN and needed a place to camp in between fishing lakes. So we drove up some dead end road in the National Forest. Did not want to drag out the tent as it was dark so we were going to sleep out in the open. Then, about 2AM or so these wolves start howling and it seemed like they were about 50 or 100 yds away! I slept (or tried to sleep) in the car. I will never forget that sound! Where I live now I have never heard that howl, but hear a lot of coyotes yipping - seems that wolves like big woods, not woods chopped up by farm fields as it is by us. Or perhaps there is a lot of SSS going on with the farmers that own those fields. But I hear tales of wolves from neighbors, even though I have not heard one in 19 years.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:24 AM
Spike

Great 1st hunt! Gongrats!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Odd coloring on the legs on the one on the right. I've shot and trapped a lot of song dogs but I don't remember ever seeing one with legs that were cream colored. I'd be keeping that skin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.