Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what is a Quota permit

Old 01-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Spike

Default what is a Quota permit

what title says
Old 01-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

Don't know.

We don't have anything like that in WY.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mny300zx
what title says
I think its a "controlled" herd reduction usually envolving a controlled numbered of doe permits to reduce the over all deer numbers.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's when only a certain number of hunters get to hunt.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

That could be what he means like Wyoming has what they call LE units, which stands for Limited Entry, and only a certain number of tags are issued. I do think it would help if the OP expounded on that question, like what state and animal and exactly what they are doing so we could really answer the question.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-01-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Indiana has drawings each year issueing permits for a limited number of hunters to hunt in state parks to help controll populations. I have never heard it called a "quota permit" but I am guessing it's the same concept.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've experienced quota permits in both FL and VA. Based on what I've seen they are a limited number of permits for areas that can't take a lot of pressure so they issue the permits accordingly. In both FL and VA you apply for the permits and if you draw them you get to hunt. Both states allow you to take a guest so the permit is actually good for 2 people as long as one holds the permit. Remember this is FL and VA and you don't say what state you're asking about so it may not be the same.

The bag limit depends on the actual area the permit is for. When I was in FL I drew the quota permit for the Perdidio River Management Area 3 times and I could take a total of 4deer each season and they all had to be bucks. No does allowed there. In VA I've held quota permits for 6 or 7 different areas and each of them allow either sex hunting.

Quota permits can be really good hunting since you know going in there will not be a lot of competition since it is totally limited.