Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ohio public land

Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Spike

Default Ohio public land

Looking for new spots to have a chance at more mature deer . A lot of public land and over the counter tags . Looking for feedback.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck with that in Ohio. Public land in Ohio is so over hunted its rediculus.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Spike

The public land in central NY . I have had luck with 2.5 year olds even with all the pressure . My thought is if a state has better caliber of deer then i may have a crack at a 3.5 year old .
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

I live in Md but last time I went to Ohio and hunted there were publically accessible lists of private land owners who will allow hunting. Not sure if this is what you meant by public land but may be worth looking into. There were land owners who would register their land with the state who allow hunting. You just have to find what your looking for. Yes alot of the best places are already locked up but it does give you a little more area to look into. This was about 5yrs ago so Im not sure if its still done this way. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Spike

That's some useful info thank you I will definitely check into that .
Old 01-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

wayne national forest, get on the DNR website. they have maps as well
Old 01-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

What thunderchicken was refering to has been canceled due to the fact that there were more Hunters registered than willing land owners. Per an article in the Ohio Outdoor News, OH DNR apparently hands out Lot's of damage deer tags to farmers to shoot deer that are damaging their crops. So this List went away.

Ohio Has a lot of good Public land and There have been some nice deer harvested lately.

CVg Ohio