Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Never seen this before.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

air in the intestines causes them to move, y'all experiencing a lean year there?
RR
Old 12-30-2013, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Baby Alien from the movie aliens. LOL
Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

That would creep me out for sure. This year I shot a doe and let her lay for 45 mins. When I was feild dressing her every time I cut the muscle by the sternum the whole chest convulsed. I knew it was nerves but it was really weird.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

As long at the doe did not jump out of your vehicle on the way out (which would indicate it was an alien or something), and it looked healthy otherwise, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Cook the meat well, as you should always do. That is what I would do anyway. If it was sickly looking and skinny, then CWD would be an issue - see http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/programs...ages/faqs.aspx if this is the case.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen muscles twitching while gutting or skinning, but never that! I've never payed much attention to the gut pile either though. Interesting for sure!
-Jake
Old 12-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

MZS as to cooking your venison well done. Thats been debunked. You don't have too. Medium is fine. Also intestines have nothing to do with CWD. The brain, and spinal fluid do.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Spike

Yea thats creepy for sure.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

I killed an antelope this year, that twitched the entire time. I promise she was dead, just a twitcher. Maybe you had a tummy twitcher deer.

Just a guess
Old 12-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

I cut her up this evening and everything seemed fine. Loins and backstraps came out (will be cooked to medium LOL), half went toward sausage and the other half is being canned. This is the third doe I have killed this year and might try for one more.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:26 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by deernutz
MZS as to cooking your venison well done. Thats been debunked. You don't have too. Medium is fine. Also intestines have nothing to do with CWD. The brain, and spinal fluid do.
I am not concerned about the fact that it is deer, but that it is meat, and cooking to a certain temp will kill any bacteria that may have found its way in via dressing or processing. Mostly this is only a concern for ground meat where outside is mixed with inside meat. For steak, just cook the outside fairly good leaving the inside medium and there should be no problem since any bacteria will stay on the outside and be killed.

Yeah, the twitching guts by themselves probably have little to do with the health of the deer.

Last edited by MZS; 12-30-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.