Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Antler Traps

Old 12-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
Here is where the problem is and I swear my only intent is to make this a better place with more visitors.

I said to you a long time ago "You may want to look at that "contraption" again"

Instead of doing so you responded with insults.
***I did look at it again , as well as reading the two written pieces they had on there with the pictures, and if you would have just explained your bungee comment further ALL of us who didn't understand the thing and your comment wouldn't have continued on with the thread. Again, as I mentioned in my last post, miscommunication on the internet happens a lot compared to face to face discussions when things can be discussed a lot quicker and easier than typing on a keypad. Please, let's both get along on here as I think we both have a lot to offer on these Forums without getting into all these arguments. I'm sorry some of us didn't understand your bungee comment or "look at it further", but things are now understood and the "contraption" gets my approval, LOL!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-30-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
I watched the video on the website and saw how the buck lost an antler. If that buck wasn't ready to shed and started he would have been flipped over possibly breaking a leg or worse. While his head may not get stuck for more than a second, there are other distinct possibilities. No matter the durability of the rubber, any buck that is started when its head is in there is going to be thrown off their feet.

The problem I see is the deer was able to fit his entire rack inside the cage of it. Now, if the openings were just wide enough to fit a deer's head in (Maybe 8") so that the deers antlers were knocked off trying to get the food rather than after fitting its antlers into the "cage" area then I think it would be better. If a deer's antlers are loose, then they will come off trying to eat and poking its head in, not by being stuck on something on the way out.

Just my opinion on this. I'm more of a walk and find them kind of guy. I find it much more fun that way. If they ever have a trap that is 100% safe (hopefully like I mentioned here) then I might give it a try. I just know I couldn't forgive myself if I have a 180" buck come it, somehow get his antlers in and then either get stuck getting out or fall over on his back and struggle and break a leg or neck getting out. I've seen die from some scenarios, I just wouldn't want one of those to be my fault.
In your last post you said you would be ok with it if those pieces of steel had springs on them.....turns out those pieces of steel are rubber bands. It seems like that would make you ok with it doesn't it?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fastetti
I watched the video on the website and saw how the buck lost an antler. If that buck wasn't ready to shed and started he would have been flipped over possibly breaking a leg or worse. While his head may not get stuck for more than a second, there are other distinct possibilities. No matter the durability of the rubber, any buck that is started when its head is in there is going to be thrown off their feet.

The problem I see is the deer was able to fit his entire rack inside the cage of it. Now, if the openings were just wide enough to fit a deer's head in (Maybe 8") so that the deers antlers were knocked off trying to get the food rather than after fitting its antlers into the "cage" area then I think it would be better. If a deer's antlers are loose, then they will come off trying to eat and poking its head in, not by being stuck on something on the way out.

Just my opinion on this. I'm more of a walk and find them kind of guy. I find it much more fun that way. If they ever have a trap that is 100% safe (hopefully like I mentioned here) then I might give it a try. I just know I couldn't forgive myself if I have a 180" buck come it, somehow get his antlers in and then either get stuck getting out or fall over on his back and struggle and break a leg or neck getting out. I've seen die from some scenarios, I just wouldn't want one of those to be my fault.
How is a deer going to get flipped over by a piece of rubber band?!?!?!? these deer are our walking around in the woods. Are you worried they are going to get body slammed by some branches that touch their antlers too? I'm just curious how these deer (Which are apparently made of glass) have survived barbed wire fences. Those are death sentences to any deer getting near them.

cmon!

Last edited by NebBuckHunter; 12-30-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***I did look at it again , as well as reading the two written pieces they had on there with the pictures, and if you would have just explained your bungee comment further ALL of us who didn't understand the thing and your comment wouldn't have continued on with the thread. Again, as I mentioned in my last post, miscommunication on the intenet happens a lot compared to face to face discussions when things can be discussed a lot quicker and easier than typing on a keypad.
and if you were being more reasonable about something you don't know a whole lot about I would have gladly explained it to you.

I don't care about apologies and such and I don't want to belittle you or make you look bad. I just hope you can see what happened here and think about it next time...that is all I want.

I was going to explain it to you until you starting calling me murby and LOLing at me.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
and if you were being more reasonable about something you don't know a whole lot about I would have gladly explained it to you.

I don't care about apologies and such and I don't want to belittle you or make you look bad. I just hope you can see what happened here and think about it next time...that is all I want.

I was going to explain it to you until you starting calling me murby and LOLing at me.
***Then why make this post with that second paragraph to get in the last word like you do every time. Dang it man, I've offered an apology and gave you a compliment and then you just have to come back like you do every time with more BS to try and egg people on. I'm outta here and hope this thread is dead!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-30-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
How is a deer going to get flipped over by a piece of rubber band?!?!?!? these deer are our walking around in the woods. Are you worried they are going to get body slammed by some branches that touch their antlers too? I'm just curious how these deer (Which are apparently made of glass) have survived barbed wire fences. Those are death sentences to any deer getting near them.

cmon!
No kidding!!! Whitetails are damn tough critters.

One day I watched across a slew about 30 yards across two tops of some alder brush being trashed by a buck as he made a rub. I didn't see the buck, just the tops of the alders. The tops would rattle back and forth as he pushed into them, then start to criss cross as I guess he was twisting his head. After he was done I crossed the slew to check out the rub. The two alders were about a foot apart, and easily 6 inches in diameter. That buck trashed those alders... A 1/2 inch bungee ain't gonna stop a buck for a split second.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Spike

Well I hope the thread lives on because honestly there were only a few useful suggestions. Right now I think I'm going to get 2 hay bales form a V formation then stack a 3rd bale on top and stake them into the ground with some rebar. Then I might try and hook a couple bungees up around the mouth of the V somehow. Idk. I'll post a pic in a couple weeks when I make it.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kev32
Well I hope the thread lives on because honestly there were only a few useful suggestions. Right now I think I'm going to get 2 hay bales form a V formation then stack a 3rd bale on top and stake them into the ground with some rebar. Then I might try and hook a couple bungees up around the mouth of the V somehow. Idk. I'll post a pic in a couple weeks when I make it.
What I like about the bungees is the constant pressure. A buck can easily stick his head right in there and the bungee will put a steady constant pull on the antlers
Old 12-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***Then why make this post with that second paragraph to get in the last word like you do every time. Dang it man, I've offered an apology and gave you a compliment and then you just have to come back like you do every time with more BS to try and egg people on. I'm outta here and hope this thread is dead!!!
I thought your theory was that when someone is wrong they should accept all criticism?

In My second paragraph I'm just telling you I don't require apologies and compliments. Its whether you will do the same thing next time that matters to me.

I think you have a lot to offer as well but the key word is offer not force.

Last edited by rockport; 12-30-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 AM
Typical Buck

Jesus H. on horseback !!!
I had never heard of such a thing as putting out feed and some sort of contraption to collect shed antlers off bucks. The title of the thread caught my attention, so I read out of curiosity.

Sort of wish I hadn't now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.