Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Antler Traps

Old 12-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't found alot of sheds here in VT. Only 3 to be exact. The first 2 that I found were a match of a really nice 11 pointer. I've never seen this deer or gotten any pics of him. And then I found the left side of a young 8 pointer this past spring while turkey hunting on a different piece of property than I deer hunt on.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deernutz
I've never found one that fast that still had blood on it. I don't have much luck looking for 'em. Usually the ones I find I've already given up looking and step on, sit on, or trip on. But I will say they were all pretty nice ones.
I find probably 70% of my antlers in groups. I can't count how many times Ive found several in one area them walked the rest of the day and found nothing.

I also find a lot in certain locations year after year.

Usually after I luck into a good spot I realize why its a good spot but then I remember it and go back every year. Doesn't always work but it does work.

My best spot is a big wooded hill side leading down to a field. They drop antlers walking up and down the hill.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VTBoneCollector
Now, those are some nice finds. What state do u live in?
I live in Illinois.

Most were found around Rockport IL
Old 12-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

That’s funny your from Rockport, and your screen names Rockport. What a coincidence.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

That’s funny your from Rockport, and your screen names Rockport. What a coincidence.
Its a huge town of about 80 people.

Just a few miles from the heartland lodge that is often advertised on this sight.

80 people and about 80 outfitters in the area lol
Old 12-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I respect everyone’s views. TG seems to be a good guy and has a passion for preserving his ways of hunting, and I respect that. But leave the moderators out of this. If we can't argue topics and show each other’s views and opinions then what’s the point of online forums. The catch is you can't take it personal. We all come from different walks of life, and were brought up hunting, fishing and enjoying this great countries backwoods in different ways. You may do something I necessarily don’t agree with but I’m not going to judge u over it. Just my two cents.

***A PM is a personal message to one member and nothing was taken to a Moderator!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah just PM'S name calling and threatening to tell the moderator at the same time.

Classy
Old 12-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

No offense to anyone, but that rack trap looks like a horrible idea. I could easily see one of our mature bucks being not ready to shed and get an antler caught in there and either ripping the antler off and taking some of his skull plate with it or wind up dead in there. When the feeder is down to its last bit of corn a buck will twist and turn to get every last piece and thats when trouble starts, easily getting multiple tines stuck in the metal. If there was a heavy duty spring on the top of each piece of metal so they can pull our if they get really stuck then that would be a much better idea. We can't feed in Illinois so its illegal but I still wouldn't leave something like that out with a clean conscious.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
No offense to anyone, but that rack trap looks like a horrible idea. I could easily see one of our mature bucks being not ready to shed and get an antler caught in there and either ripping the antler off and taking some of his skull plate with it or wind up dead in there. When the feeder is down to its last bit of corn a buck will twist and turn to get every last piece and thats when trouble starts, easily getting multiple tines stuck in the metal. If there was a heavy duty spring on the top of each piece of metal so they can pull our if they get really stuck then that would be a much better idea. We can't feed in Illinois so its illegal but I still wouldn't leave something like that out with a clean conscious.
Those are bungee cords on it you know?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Those are bungee cords on it you know?
Exactly... The vertical members are made of EDPM rubber cords... Didn't anyone else read the link??? It lists the components at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 12-30-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.