Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Antler Traps

Old 12-31-2013, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Are you a welder?

I don't see why something similar couldn't be made out of wood for really cheap.
Rock, I'm not a professional welder, but can hold my own.

I operate equipment for a Peat Bog, but often help out in the shop. Quite often we have to modify an existing piece of equipment, or build something from scratch to suit the specific needs we have at the Bog. Most of the Bog implements come out of Canada, and are all task specific. Often it's easier, and cheaper to modify a piece of equipment than spend thousands on a new implement that you may only use a few time a year for a specific task.

That said, in my above post I was thinking I could fabricate one out of wood. If I had started when I first posted, I figure I would probably have had it finished by lunch.

Top, they canned Frazier too, but that didn't surprise anyone around here. Seemed to me that he didn't know how to use the talent he had available either.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 12-31-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

I watch from the sidelines and I gotta tell ya the question I have to ask myself is... Are these guys REALLY out in the woods with firearms? The arguing that goes on here is IMHO very childish INDEED! This is a public forum I would think one would like to portray themselves in a respectable manner. Not meant at any one poster. Time to reflect on our actions.
Food for thought! Happy New Year All my hunting brothers and sisters.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The five gallon bucket sounds like a good idea.I think I'll try that.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Here is my idea.
Cut tree limbs off, and then surround a tree like a tent.
Stick them in the ground about an inch or so, and then tie the other end to a tree trunk.
Spread corn, or some type of deer food at the base.
That way if their antlers are ready to fall off the limbs will knock them off, if not the antlers don't get stuck, or have anything stuck on them.
That way the deer won't get tangled up on something else with stuff in their antlers, and get stuck to other things, and starve, or be an easy target for coyotes, etc, etc.
If the tree limbs break you can just cut more.
Tree limbs don't cost a lot of $$, and all you need is something to tie the limbs to the tree.

Just an idea I thought of.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jbsr, that is a great idea, I like how the branches will hit the antlers but can't get stuck due to the bottoms not being attached to the ground. If they are loose enough they will fall right off. It would be interesting to have a trail camera over it to see how it works.

Seriously? Arguing over antler traps? Hopefully we can leave arguments like this in 2013. Life is too short…...
Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Spike

I'm thinking on our property these things would just be squirrel feeders. I believe only 2 sheds have been found in about 50 years. Maybe the squirrels are eating them, the sheds we have found have been chewed on.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
Rock, I'm not a professional welder, but can hold my own.

I operate equipment for a Peat Bog, but often help out in the shop. Quite often we have to modify an existing piece of equipment, or build something from scratch to suit the specific needs we have at the Bog. Most of the Bog implements come out of Canada, and are all task specific. Often it's easier, and cheaper to modify a piece of equipment than spend thousands on a new implement that you may only use a few time a year for a specific task.

That said, in my above post I was thinking I could fabricate one out of wood. If I had started when I first posted, I figure I would probably have had it finished by lunch.

Top, they canned Frazier too, but that didn't surprise anyone around here. Seemed to me that he didn't know how to use the talent he had available either.
I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with and hearing the results.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with and hearing the results.
I'm not actually going to build one, just figured I could... I rarely see any deer sign on our property after the first of the year... They yard up in different areas around here this time of year... The nearest yard I know of is a little over a mile to our West on private, and land leased by a couple of camps off of the end of our dead end road. I've been invited in on the lease but have never really needed too so haven't... These days I prefer to hunt alone, and steer clear of the politics of the camps, but do attend a yearly steak grilling with the crews.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
I'm not actually going to build one, just figured I could... I rarely see any deer sign on our property after the first of the year... They yard up in different areas around here this time of year... The nearest yard I know of is a little over a mile to our West on private, and land leased by a couple of camps off of the end of our dead end road. I've been invited in on the lease but have never really needed too so haven't... These days I prefer to hunt alone, and steer clear of the politics of the camps, but do attend a yearly steak grilling with the crews.
Ive never been the group hunt type. I do like the get together after the hunt though.

I would build one but I wouldn't be able to use it here so no use.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive never been the group hunt type. I do like the get together after the hunt though.

I would build one but I wouldn't be able to use it here so no use.
This may be a stretch, But what about the use of scents?

I've read that bucks will react to doe in estrous at any time of year. I've also read many times that vanilla will attract deer. There was apple scent available when I was a kid, tho that may be a seasonal attractant.

I don't know many, since I've rarely worked with scents, but no doubt there are other attractant scents out there.

Just some food for thought (pun intended)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.