Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Antler Traps

Old 12-31-2013, 04:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Normally, I wouldn't get involved in a topic like this since I really don't care about sheds. I was checking this thread out from simply curiosity. I used to gather sheds but I don't any longer since I believe they are a valuable source of minerals for things like squirrels, mice porcupines etc... and I've got enough antlers collecting dust If you want to gather them, more power to you.

But I do have to respond to this:

Originally Posted by rockport
you screw up and shoot a deer with a 3 inch spike thinking its a doe your a criminal
That thread had a lot less to do with the 3 inch spike mistaken for a doe than it did the 6 inch spike also mistaken for a doe and the fact the OP didn't even know the regulations for his state and didn't know what he was shooting at, twice. Plus, he did admit to a criminal act because he was over the legal bag limit for antlered bucks for MO. That was the issue.

you hunt mature deer and your doing a disservice to hunting

This is directed towards me and if you are going to try and quote me, at least do it accurately. What I said was: "I also believe the current trend of focusing only on big antlers does a serious disservice to hunting." Note, I did not mention that anyone one particular person hunting mature bucks does a disservice. My point, which was totally lost on you, was that hunting in general seems seriously focused only on antler size these days. When was the last time you saw an article on meat hunting as the headline for a magazine? I also stated that I don't think that is a good trend and that I feel a hunter should be free to take any buck they want as long as it is legal and that it is wrong for people to tell someone shooting a small buck that they should have let him get bigger. You decided to take a general statement about hunting personally by insinuating I said you did hunting a disservice. I wouldn't know you if you were walking towards me on the street. I really don't care what you hunt as long as it is legal. But if I decide to shoot a fork horn for meat I would expect the same courtesy from you.
Bottom line, the very things you accuse TopGun of you are also guilty of. You take offense when none is given and you go on blast mode from the get go if someone doesn't agree with you. Before taking a shot at others, go look in the mirror since you also suffer from having your panties in a wad. Different people have different opinions and theirs are no more right or wrong than yours are.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys, I guess were just going to have to agree to disagree. I just can't see it being safe for a deer to stick his antlers in a bunch of rubber and having them getting knocked off. If they were knocked off getting while trying to get food then that would be safer but getting knocked off after they are in the bands just doesn't seem safe to me. For small bucks sure, for bigger bucks, it could happen. One of those bands gets twisted around a tine and the table is set for a disaster.

If reference to the steel rod with the springs, a straight rod, whether rubber or metal with a spring will have give where the spring is so a deer pulls back, the metal will give at the spring and the rod would bend straight down at the spring, therefor the deer can't get stuck.

Again, I think we'll just agree to disagree on this one. An antler trap isn't worth arguing over. If you want to do it, give it a try and post results. I think a trough with 2x8's about 4 inches apart with some corn on the bottom will do the same thing as an antler trap. Bucks won't be reach the corn until their antlers are gone so if they are lose and try and eat the corn the antlers will knock off trying to reach the food. If they aren't loose, they can't eat until they are lose enough to knock them off going to eat. No chance of then getting caught and much cheaper.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Normally, I wouldn't get involved in a topic like this since I really don't care about sheds. I was checking this thread out from simply curiosity. I used to gather sheds but I don't any longer since I believe they are a valuable source of minerals for things like squirrels, mice porcupines etc... and I've got enough antlers collecting dust If you want to gather them, more power to you.

But I do have to respond to this:

Bottom line, the very things you accuse TopGun of you are also guilty of. You take offense when none is given and you go on blast mode from the get go if someone doesn't agree with you. Before taking a shot at others, go look in the mirror since you also suffer from having your panties in a wad. Different people have different opinions and theirs are no more right or wrong than yours are.
I take offense when people start trying to force their ways on everybody else.

I could care less if you agree with me.

You don't like antler traps?....great don't use one

Don't want to hunt mature bucks?.....great don't

Start trying to force it down everybody elses throat? Yep then I have a problem.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe I've got the materials around home right now to fabricate one of those racktraps.

If I had to go buy the materials I think I could fabricate one for under $100.00.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
I believe I've got the materials around home right now to fabricate one of those racktraps.

If I had to go buy the materials I think I could fabricate one for under $100.00.
Are you a welder?

I don't see why something similar couldn't be made out of wood for really cheap.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Flags---The guy obviously just doesn't get it since he's now got to argue with you over simple statements you made too! How is anyone, you or me included, forcing anyone else to do something just by typing on the internet---what a joke! Listening to him he's the one who is always correct and he continues to egg things on just like he's doing on this thread by having to get in the last word when there is no reason to continue when someone says they're done with the subject. It sounds like a little kid the way he gets his panties in a wad every time I make a post that is contrary to his opinion and it's getting old when he keeps saying I'm ruining the website. IMHO his continued harping and lengthening a thread into a fight probably is more detrimental to the website tahn one post I might make here and there. A bunch of others also didn't care for the contraption, but I'm the one he jumps on because of other confrontations we've had. Pretty childish IMO! If he would look in the mirror like you mentioned and then went back in these various threads, he would see that he's the one who keeps the fire burning because he always has to get in the last word. THAT is forcing the issue a lot more than my posts with opinions contrary to his. As you stated, he takes things personally when he's not being spoken to and general statements are made on a subject that may not be to his liking. Then he starts stretching thigs like you pointed out that are incorrect to try and make his case, which doesn't need to be made in the first place. Yea, I called him an ahole and a smartazz in a couple PMs to him for continuing his BS---big deal! PMs were done to try and get the thread back on track by not resonding on it any more and to get him to realize what we are both saying right now. There was no need to even mention what was said in them since they are private messages between two persons and are not meant to be broadcast on the Forums. All that does is again to egg on a situation that shouldn't be happening in the first place. I've told him I haven't done anything against site rules or a Moderator would have stepped in and issued a warning or banned me, neither of which has happened. It's really funny that a bunch of people on this thread were against the contraption and it was basicly because we didn't understand the rubber bungees were actually what the deer stick their head through. All that was necessary was to offer a quick explanation instead of the way he did saying to look at it again. I did and still didn't catch the part that was made of rubber. Let's hope that he'll get the message that nobody is forcing anything on others, but that there will be plenty of different opinions on things. We have people on here just starting out that probably can't even vote to those of us like me and Pete that have been around many decades and have our own school of thought on things. That alone will lead to differences of opinion when there is a 50 year age difference because things have changed so much over the years since we started hunting/shooting. I hope everyone has a Happy New Year and if going out to celebrate are careful on the roads tonight because some will drink to much and get behind the wheel! Have fun, but don't be a statistic!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you a welder?

I don't see why something similar couldn't be made out of wood for really cheap.

***Donny is a welder, fabricater, and a whole lot more, but mainly is just one down to earth good guy!!! One of these days I'm going way up north where he's at and shoot one of his bucks that come in his back yard before he or a wolf gets him! On second thought, MI is bad enough this time of the year and when I see what it's like up in MN where he is I think I'll head south instead of up there, LOL! Hey Donny, did you see that Swartz and his top staff got canned yesterday? I was surprised with the 12 million they still owe him! Good riddance after 61 losses with the talent he's had on the field the last few years! So bad they couldn't even beat your Vikings on Sunday, LOL!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I take offense when people start trying to force their ways on everybody else.

Start trying to force it down everybody elses throat? Yep then I have a problem.
What about the guy on that other thread from Maryland that said he wanted to see a nationwide regulation that only bucks of a certain size can be taken? Here is exactly what he said: I wish every state in the U.S. had antler restrictions on deer for hunters over the age of 16. Isn't that trying to force his way on everyone else? Wouldn't that be forcing things down someone else's throat? Why should someone from MD be able to tell someone from ND or MT or IL etc... what they can take during deer season? Funny I don't remember you going after him the way you went after me. Why is that?

Do you not remember me saying many times that someone should be able to take any legal deer they want? Would you like me to post the links to all the times I said that? I believe if someone wants to shoot a small buck, then good for them. If someone wants to hold out for an old mossy horn, then good for them. If someone just wants to shoot does, then good for them. So tell me, just how am I trying to force anyone to do anything? I say let the man or woman pulling the trigger decide what deer they want to take.

My point is that the guys that are obsessed with big antlers are often the ones that try to force others to do things their way. Not every hunter is crazy about big racks despite what the magazines and forums like this tend to emphasize. Once again, the obvious is lost on you.

This is all I have to say on this thread. Peace to all. Happy New Years.

Last edited by flags; 12-31-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Flags---The guy obviously just doesn't get it since he's now got to argue with you over simple statements you made too! How is anyone, you or me included, forcing anyone else to do something just by typing on the internet---what a joke! Listening to him he's the one who is always correct and he continues to egg things on just like he's doing on this thread by having to get in the last word when there is no reason to continue when someone says they're done with the subject. It sounds like a little kid the way he gets his panties in a wad every time I make a post that is contrary to his opinion and it's getting old when he keeps saying I'm ruining the website. IMHO his continued harping and lengthening a thread into a fight probably is more detrimental to the website tahn one post I might make here and there. A bunch of others also didn't care for the contraption, but I'm the one he jumps on because of other confrontations we've had. Pretty childish IMO! If he would look in the mirror like you mentioned and then went back in these various threads, he would see that he's the one who keeps the fire burning because he always has to get in the last word. THAT is forcing the issue a lot more than my posts with opinions contrary to his. As you stated, he takes things personally when he's not being spoken to and general statements are made on a subject that may not be to his liking. Then he starts stretching thigs like you pointed out that are incorrect to try and make his case, which doesn't need to be made in the first place. Yea, I called him an ahole and a smartazz in a couple PMs to him for continuing his BS---big deal! PMs were done to try and get the thread back on track by not resonding on it any more and to get him to realize what we are both saying right now. There was no need to even mention what was said in them since they are private messages between two persons and are not meant to be broadcast on the Forums. All that does is again to egg on a situation that shouldn't be happening in the first place. I've told him I haven't done anything against site rules or a Moderator would have stepped in and issued a warning or banned me, neither of which has happened. It's really funny that a bunch of people on this thread were against the contraption and it was basicly because we didn't understand the rubber bungees were actually what the deer stick their head through. All that was necessary was to offer a quick explanation instead of the way he did saying to look at it again. I did and still didn't catch the part that was made of rubber. Let's hope that he'll get the message that nobody is forcing anything on others, but that there will be plenty of different opinions on things. We have people on here just starting out that probably can't even vote to those of us like me and Pete that have been around many decades and have our own school of thought on things. That alone will lead to differences of opinion when there is a 50 year age difference because things have changed so much over the years since we started hunting/shooting. I hope everyone has a Happy New Year and if going out to celebrate are careful on the roads tonight because some will drink to much and get behind the wheel! Have fun, but don't be a statistic!!!
I'm sorry, You don't force your beliefs on others.....What you do is run people off trying to force your beliefs on them.

and yes you have broke rules.

The only thing funny about it is how you handle even a mild dose of your own medicine. (without the name calling and insults)

The forum is not much fun with someone breathing down your neck is it?
Old 12-31-2013, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
What about the guy on that other thread from Maryland that said he wanted to see a nationwide regulation that only bucks of a certain size can be taken? Here is exactly what he said: I wish every state in the U.S. had antler restrictions on deer for hunters over the age of 16. Isn't that trying to force his way on everyone else? Wouldn't that be forcing things down someone else's throat? Why should someone from MD be able to tell someone from ND or MT or IL etc... what they can take during deer season? Funny I don't remember you going after him the way you went after me. Why is that?

Do you not remember me saying many times that someone should be able to take any legal deer they want? Would you like me to post the links to all the times I said that? I believe if someone wants to shoot a small buck, then good for them. If someone wants to hold out for an old mossy horn, then good for them. If someone just wants to shoot does, then good for them. So tell me, just how am I trying to force anyone to do anything? I say let the man or woman pulling the trigger decide what deer they want to take.

My point is that the guys that are obsessed with big antlers are often the ones that try to force others to do things their way. Not every hunter is crazy about big racks despite what the magazines and forums like this tend to emphasize. Once again, the obvious is lost on you.
I disagree with him as well and if he said focusing on meat was a disservice to hunting I wouldn't expect you to like it.

That is the problem is the generalization. When you say focusing on big antlers is a disservice to hunting your including me and I don't care what you want to hunt. I'm far from trying to force you to do things my way.

If people trying to force trophy hunting on you is your problem them say that and I would agree with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.