Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

abnormal antlers

Old 12-25-2013, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by skinnnner
You beat me to the punch!thats why i asked about a buck tag being an either sex tag.always be sure of your target and beyond! This is a number one rule for many reasons.
***The reason I'm busting this guy's chops is that he told me in his response to my question that the first one was legal, but the second one was a mistake and that he will have to live with that. Doesn't that sound like he is saying he violated the law and when I stated he should have contacted the DNR about that mistake he made no comment one way or the other? All he needed to say in response to my question was that he was able to legally tag the second deer with a buck tag he had, but he didn't offer that up. For him to ethically and legally shoot at the two deer he did in MO they would have either had to have issued him two "either sex" tags or two doe tags, neither of which he had for the second deer if it had been a doe. I don't see how he can say he's ethical when he specifically says he only had a buck tag left when he shot that second deer that he thought was a doe. We are not only talking about knowing your target but what appears to be an intent to violate the law when he shot that second deer. Am I missing something here Skinnner?

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-25-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***The reason I'm busting this guy's chops is that he told me in his response to my question that the first one was legal, but the second one was a mistake and that he will have to live with that. Doesn't that sound like he is saying he violated the law and when I stated he should have contacted the DNR about that mistake he made no comment one way or the other? Alle he needded to say in response to my question was that he was able to legally tag the second deer with a buck tag he had, but he didn't offer that up. To legally do what he did he should have either had two "either sex" tags or two doe tags. I don't see how he can say he's ethical when he specifically says he only had a buck tag left when he shot that second deer that he thought was a doe. Am I missing something here Skinnner?
Seems to me you are correct.he was lucky in the fact the second deer was a buck but it appears he attempted to harvest two does.am i missing something here?
Old 12-25-2013, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Was the second tag an either sex tag or was it strictly for a buck?sorry im not fully understanding this.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

***This still means he ATTEMPTED to violate the law EVEN IF he had already tagged the first deer with the 3" spike with his one anterless tag. He specifically stated in his first post that he shot the second one that had a six inch spike thinking it was a doe. If he had already used his doe tag on the 3" buck, he obviously shot at a deer he thought was a doe and didn't have a doe tag to legally use on the 6" buck, but was lucky it qualified as a buck and could use his buck tag on it. The only way he should have shot at that second deer he thought was a doe was if he was issued TWO doe tags and still had one of them left. Therefore, even if he was legal as far as the way he ended up tagging them, I"ll stand with my previous staements. I also would like to know why he says he made a mistake that he has to live with. That comment sounds like an admission of committing a violation, rather than just a booboo that was resolved by legally tagging them, especially with his longest post responding to mine regarding the mistake.
in Missouri as you know we get a doe tag and a ANY DEER tag. the ANY DEER tag is your buck tag, or you can use it on a doe if like. so that is why I shot the second one that I thought was a doe because I can use my any deer tag on a buck or doe either one.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by buckman11
in Missouri as you know we get a doe tag and a ANY DEER tag. the ANY DEER tag is your buck tag, or you can use it on a doe if like. so that is why I shot the second one that I thought was a doe because I can use my any deer tag on a buck or doe either one.
Ok thanx for clearing that up.so there was no attemp to break any laws and it never made any diffrence to you Or the law if you took a doe or buck with your either sex tag.i can see this as plausable.but you should have stated that in your post to begin with not labeled as a mistake as you stated.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Skinnner---I think I will have to call BS on that last post of his, as I did not see any mention of such a tag when I looked up the MO Deer Regulations. The Regulation states that one antlered buck is all they can kill during their firearms season unless they are hunting in one of what they call their "managed areas" and he wasn't. An antlered deer in MO is: "a deer with at least one antler a minimum of 3" long". Therefore, it would appear the OP has possibly violated the law by taking two bucks with a 3" or longer antler with a firearm because he wasn't in a managed area where they were shot and one, the 3" first buck, was tagged with a doe tag. If I'm correct and was the OP after making the statements on this website that he has, I would go turn myself in to the nearest DNR Office and hope they let him off with a warning or small fine. To do otherwise is risking a lot worse if he is turned in by someone reading this thread or if an Officer reads it. The latter is very possible because more and more arrests for poaching are being made that waywith some Officers actually assigned to watch the internet for suspicious stuff. I'm aware of one myself out in WY near where I hunt and the kid is in prison for multiple poaching incidents that put them into felony status. He was caught when he posted one of the illegal bucks on the internet saying where it was killed and several people that knew the buck actually lived 30 miles from there in a closed unit called the G&F. An investigation on that deer by the G&F led to other big deer being found and he got what he deserved. If I'm incorrect on this case I offer my apology, but that's what I read in the MO Regulations.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-25-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skinnnner
Ok thanx for clearing that up.so there was no attemp to break any laws and it never made any diffrence to you Or the law if you took a doe or buck with your either sex tag.i can see this as plausable.but you should have stated that in your post to begin with not labeled as a mistake as you stated.
thats exactly right.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

Skinnner---I call BS on that one as I just looked up the MO Deer Regulations and there is no such thing as an "either sex" deer tag. One antlered buck is all they can kill during their firearms season unless they are hunting in one of what they call their "managed areas" and he wasn't. An antlered deer in MO is: "a deer with at least one antler a minimum of 3" long". Therefore, it would appear the OP has violated the law by taking two bucks with a 3" or longer antler with a firearm because he wasn't in a managed area where they were shot and one, the 3" first buck, was tagged with a doe tag. If I were the OP after making the statements on this website that he has, I would go turn myself in to the nearest DNR Office and hope they let him off with a warning or small fine. To do otherwise is risking a lot owrse if he is turned in by soemone readin this thread or if an Officer reads it. The latter is very possible because more and more arrests for poaching are being made that way. I'm aware of one myself out in WY near where I and the kid is in prison for multiple poaching incidents that put them into felony status. He was caught when he posted one of the illegal bucks on the internet saying where it was killed and several people that knew the buck actually lived 30 miles from there in a closed unit called the G&F. An investigation on that deer by the G&F led to other big deer being found and he got what he deserved.

Yes this would indeed change everything if the three inch buck is legaly considered a buck!this reminds me of bullcamp saying the other day about people these days wanting to video themselves or post things on a forum or facebook for all the world to see.Is there anything the op wishes to add?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by buckman11
all im trying to say is that in Missouri we are issued a doe tag and a buck tag. in Missouri you can use a doe tag on a doe, a button buck, or a buck that has a spike of three inches. I legally killed and tagged the first buck because it had a spike of three inches. as for the second buck there is no excuse. I made a mistake. I thought I was legal. I had no clue it was a buck. it was in a ground with two other does. it was not rutting so its body frame looked like a doe. I saw what I thought were three does in the field. and I shot the biggest one.
I just looked it up and as top stated a buck is a deer with a 3 inch spike.if it is under 3 inches it is an animal you can tag as a doe.so ummm was that spike 3 inches or less?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Skinner---I did edit that post you C/Pd for spelling and made a couple of other changes while you were putting your last post up, but it is still essentially what you put up in your post. I may be missing something and maybe the OP can show me where MO has an "either sex" tag, but that still would only take care of one of the two deer and the other the way I see it would have been taken illegally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.