Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Strange gooey substance in muscle?? >

Strange gooey substance in muscle??

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Strange gooey substance in muscle??

Old 12-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Strange gooey substance in muscle??

I was processing a deer yesterday (hit by car), and came across a strange cream colored white gooey substance located inside some muscle tissue.

The red meat all around looked fine but a pocket, the size of a large grape, had this cream colored goo. It was a sticky type of liquid like what you'd expect from a kids nose snot. Very uniform in texture, color and consistency.. No detectable odor. It wasn't quite white, but not tan either.. more like an off-white cream color.

The location was in the shoulder area but I'm not sure exactly where as I was hacking stuff off quickly for grinding.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Might be a gland. There are a few in the meat on venison. Did you take a pic of it? Probably not a big deal. Trim it out and pitch it like you would a pus pocket or blood shot.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like a cyst.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by skinnnner
Sounds like a cyst.
Didn't think about a cyst, but it is plausible. Could be.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

I should have taken a photo of it....
Old 12-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

I encountered alot of those when i was a butcher.just cut around it and throw it was.the rest of the meat should be ok just dont cut it open and let it contaminate the good meat
Old 12-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Throw it away
Old 12-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

I encountered alot of those when i was a butcher.just cut around it and throw it was.the rest of the meat should be ok just dont cut it open and let it contaminate the good meat
There was no casing or skin around it that I saw.. just goo inside a pocket of muscle tissue.

Even while playing with it, I saw no skin or encasing material at all..

I didn't cut it out or cut around it.. I just threw the entire thing into the boiling pot and boiled (simmered) it with the rest of the bones for about 6 hours.. Its all dog food now..

My processing has only three categories.. Jerky, grind, and dog food.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Should be fin but next time id throw it away,thats no way to treat mans best friend.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Should be fin but next time id throw it away,thats no way to treat mans best friend.
Oh.. that's a strange comment..

I'm no biologist so correct me if I am wrong but..

What could possibly survive 6 to 8 hours in a boiling pot that's not a heavy metal or other type of toxin?

(And I doubt its a mass of prions)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.