Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is a Sandero 300 Win Mag too much for White Tail? >

Is a Sandero 300 Win Mag too much for White Tail?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is a Sandero 300 Win Mag too much for White Tail?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by redgreen
300 is great for everything. Stay with the heavier bullets and you will have less damage. Minimum 180 grain and preferably 200.
+1 I handload 200gr. Accubonds, they have put three moose down with one shot each and dropped a buck in its tracks (on a quartering too shot) with not too much meat damage.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by RaySendero
ahaberman25, Is the what you are refering to as a Sandero:

Yes this is the gun i was speaking of. I will be ordering one shortly. I need information from the hunting world to see if its really a good choice. I got a suggestion from a seasoned hunter to get this rifle.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

If I was going to hunt with a 300 mag Id want it to be on the heavier side. A 6 pound 300 would probably feel like Mike Tyson punching you in the shoulder.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kenified06
If I was going to hunt with a 300 mag Id want it to be on the heavier side. A 6 pound 300 would probably feel like Mike Tyson punching you in the shoulder.
Yep. I can promise you that a 7 pound 325 WSM turning loose a 220 grainer will get your attention. That baby gets shot off a lead sled from the bench. Shots on game I don't even notice. I'd rather carry the light rifle up on the mountain and get smacked if I have to.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really don't know why anyone needs one of those big boomers unless that really want to shoot long distances, because that's the main thing they are better for than say a 30-06 that will take most anything efficiently. My Uncle has an aviation repair company out at the Stockton, CA airport name Topgun Aviation. I put that together with 30-06 to get my username because I really do think that is all the average guy needs to hunt anything on the North American continent, other than possibly the big bears.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:48 AM
Typical Buck

For a time I was in a hunting club in GA that had a large tract of land leased. I saw several guys new to deer hunting who would start out hunting with something sensible like a 270 or 30/06 and through their own poor shooting make a bad shot and lose a deer.
Sure enough, these guys would decide they had to have more power to kill these whitetails and next season they show up with a 300 WM or even bigger. I even saw a 338 there once.
Naturally the problem only got worse because now the guy was scared of his rifle as well as being a mediocre shot at best.
Did it dawn on them that the more experienced guys were bringing in bucks regularly that were killed with one shot from 243s and 30/30s ? Nope.
I'm sure that scenario repeats itself over and over in thousands of camps every year.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have a 300mag Remington 700 BDL #1 custom. I got it mag na ported to reduce the recoil to 6mm levels.

http://magnaport.com/

I hand load 165 Sierra HPBT game kings over a load of IMR 4350 powder. I use it in Michigan's UP to shoot across cranberry bogs & on the beach of Big Bay DeNoc.
I have killed bucks as close as 80 yards with very little meat damage and as far away as 383 yards a bang flop.

Al
Old 12-29-2013, 05:25 AM
Spike

Its surely a personal choice
Old 12-29-2013, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default Magnaport

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I have a 300mag Remington 700 BDL #1 custom. I got it mag na ported to reduce the recoil to 6mm levels.

I hand load 165 Sierra HPBT game kings over a load of IMR 4350 powder. I use it in Michigan's UP to shoot across cranberry bogs & on the beach of Big Bay DeNoc.
I have killed bucks as close as 80 yards with very little meat damage and as far away as 383 yards a bang flop.

Al
Did you get it magnaported or did you have a magna-brake installed on it?

From Magnaport's website (the link you posted), magnaporting only reduces recoil about 15% and its prime function is to reduce muzzle jump.

However, they do advertise that their muzzle brake will reduce recoil up to 45%. I have brakes on two of my big boomers, and I wouldn't shoot either without them.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by alleyyooper

Al
***Dang, and here all these years I thought us Michiganders fished on the Bay. I didn't know you could hunt it too, LOL!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.