Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Blood Trail Problems

Old 12-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Spike

Exclamation Blood Trail Problems

Hey all,

I shot a deer with a muzzleloader this evening and was unable to locate it. I followed a pretty consistent blood trail for what I'm guessing was over a mile. It would be pools of blood followed by drops for a while, then pools again, and so on. I'm guessing I kept jumping the deer, but it was dark and so far off my hunting property I just kept after it hoping for the best. Eventually I lost the trail, but have no idea if the wound clotted or I just need to go back and look again during daylight. Since I shot it in low light, I have no idea where I actually hit it. I wasn't sure if muscle hits could bleed that consistently for so long? If so, I'm guessing that's how it traveled so far. The trail seemed to taper off the last few hundred yards, but it was after over a mile of a consistent trail. I just wish I knew if it was a lethal shot or not.

I attached some images of the trail. Any ideas about the possible hit types and/or likelihood of finding the deer would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Blood Trail Problems-img_1813.jpg   Blood Trail Problems-img_1811.jpg   Blood Trail Problems-img_1812.jpg  
Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MedMinded
Hey all,

I shot a deer with a muzzleloader this evening and was unable to locate it. I followed a pretty consistent blood trail for what I'm guessing was over a mile. It would be pools of blood followed by drops for a while, then pools again, and so on. I'm guessing I kept jumping the deer, but it was dark and so far off my hunting property I just kept after it hoping for the best. Eventually I lost the trail, but have no idea if the wound clotted or I just need to go back and look again during daylight. Since I shot it in low light, I have no idea where I actually hit it. I wasn't sure if muscle hits could bleed that consistently for so long? If so, I'm guessing that's how it traveled so far. The trail seemed to taper off the last few hundred yards, but it was after over a mile of a consistent trail. I just wish I knew if it was a lethal shot or not.

I attached some images of the trail. Any ideas about the possible hit types and/or likelihood of finding the deer would be appreciated. Thanks!
My advice is go back at daylight and retrail the deer. Looks like it was hit good. Hope you find whats left of it. Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

First off, if it was "far off" your property, did you have permission to be on the property it went on? If not, then I'd suggest getting ahold of whoever owns it to be sure you don't get in a heap of trouble. From what you say, I'm pretty sure you have a muscle hit and you pushed the deer too hard. If you had hit vitals, the deer wouldn't go that far and a gut shot wouldn't give the bright red blood.

You may never recover this deer if it is a muscle hit. Taking low light shots are risky unless you know for a fact you can put the bullet in the right place. Often it is better to hold off for another day.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

In that scenario you probably should have backed out until daylight and shouldn't have gone any further when you jumped it the first time and it kept going like it did. Do what Flags said and get permission to go back ASAP and see if you can find it, but I'm guessing he's correct and it was a muscle wound that will heal if it went that far. Blood trails can look like a deer is spilling gallons when in actuality it's not that much when compared to how much they have in them.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-20-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
First off, if it was "far off" your property, did you have permission to be on the property it went on? If not, then I'd suggest getting ahold of whoever owns it to be sure you don't get in a heap of trouble.
He's talking about following a blood trail and you go off on property rights???

Old 12-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murby
He's talking about following a blood trail and you go off on property rights???

Did you actually read his post? He said it had traveled far from his hunting property after he wounded it. In many states you can't legally follow a blood trail onto someone else's property without permission. If he doesn't have permission he is likely asking for trouble. Before he goes back, if he doesn't have permission, he should contact the owner.

If you honestly think I gave him bad advice please be so good as to explain your reasons. Remember the second time he looks he isn't on a smoking hot blood trail and can't use that as an excuse. That ship has already left the port.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with those who say go back and try again in daylight.

You really can't do less than to exhaust all possibilities before giving up.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

The more Murby posts on this site in the couple months he's been on here the bigger headache he's becoming. I really am beginning to wonder if he really is a hunter or just a plant or troll on this site with all the crappola he keeps coming up with. Talk about , LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-20-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The more Murby posts on this site in the couple months he's been on here the bigger headache he's becoming. I really am beginning to wonder if he really is a hunter or just a plant or troll on this site with all the crappola he keeps coming up with. Talk about , LOL!
He might be a politician ...notice how he keeps trying to talk and explain things for everyone else. just sayin
Old 12-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
Did you actually read his post? He said it had traveled far from his hunting property after he wounded it. In many states you can't legally follow a blood trail onto someone else's property without permission. If he doesn't have permission he is likely asking for trouble. Before he goes back, if he doesn't have permission, he should contact the owner.

If you honestly think I gave him bad advice please be so good as to explain your reasons. Remember the second time he looks he isn't on a smoking hot blood trail and can't use that as an excuse. That ship has already left the port.
Well jee whiz.. I did read it.. again.. and I still don't find anywhere in his post where he was looking for any advice on laws or property rights.. For all you know, he could be surrounded by state land.. who cares.. he didn't ask for that kind of advice.

Since it would seem that you believe he needs legal advice because he's traveling off his property in search of a blood trail, why not give him clothing advice too? Maybe driving advice? Weather updates? Heck, you can even throw in some astrology while you're at it.
(ya, I'm being sarcastic but you get the point)..

I understand the property thing is a big "hot button" for you.. but he's looking for help following a blood trail.. lets stick to that..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.