Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take >

Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take

Old 12-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
then you need to investigate farther, I can assure you I am right on this, dozens of headshots have proved it.
when cleaning and cutting up the meat a headshot deer is much bloodier than a lungshot one, its a fact
RR
RR, I can certainly believe that the heart stops "sooner" with a head shot. My comment was to "The heart stops immediately", And maybe it does more often than not, but I have definitely seen different.

Mind you that it was back in 1976, so I won't tell that the memory is vivid, but it was my first deer so the memory is still there.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 12-22-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Instant death leaves more blood in the animal. That is a fact. That is why slaughter houses knock animals out or gas them then bleed them out.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
then you need to investigate farther, I can assure you I am right on this, dozens of headshots have proved it.
when cleaning and cutting up the meat a headshot deer is much bloodier than a lungshot one, its a fact
RR
As someone who processes deer from September to January every year for the last 10 or so years for local and out of State hunters and myself since 1974 as well as I do taxidermy I can assure you What I have personally witnessed your statement has NOT been the case. Not to say that what you have witnessed is different from my Hands On experience.
Fascinating!

Last edited by kswild; 12-22-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Lunkerdog: A nitpicker ought to know, one is .224 and one is .228

I am still kind of curious, how do you shoot the jaw off a deer that is either facing you or facing away? None of the experts want to address that question ?
Old 12-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gunplummer

I am still kind of curious, how do you shoot the jaw off a deer that is either facing you or facing away? None of the experts want to address that question ?
That is a good question. As you will notice in my very first post on this thread I stated the buck was facing away from me when I took the head shot. So I'm interested in hearing the answer to that as well! Improbable.

Last edited by kswild; 12-22-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gunplummer

***Question: Who said any deer that had it's jaw damaged was facing toward or away from a hunter? I would have to assume that the animal would be pretty much broadside or turn it's head sideways to the hunter taking that shot to damage the jaw. What am I missing here?
Old 12-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

So the Savage is not a .22 caliber?

I was actually nitpicking that they were different cartridges vs different calibers... The data I found for the Savage said .227/.228... Other .22 cals I found ran from .223 to .2245
Old 12-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

A side shot at a deer's head is somewhat risky and I won't do it. A frontal shot, if low will go right through the neck. Same with a shot from the rear. It is not impossible to hit ONLY the jaw with a face on shot (Nothing is impossible with deer and bullets), but the risk of a bad shot is no worse than anywhere else you shoot.

I never noticed more blood from a head shot. I know some guys that soak the meat in salt water overnight if it looks too bloody. I do it with small game and it works. The salt draws the blood out into the water.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

How about this simple old country rule of thumb......,

Unless it's something charging you and you need to shut off its porch light instantly to save your ass just wait for a good angle on the lungs or let it walk.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I suppose if you rounded up, a .22 HiPower could be considered a .22 cal. Why don't you load some Hornady .228 bullets in your .223 and tell us what happens? Sounds like an experiment to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.