Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take >

Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take

Old 12-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
How about this simple old country rule of thumb......,

Unless it's something charging you and you need to shut off its porch light instantly to save your ass just wait for a good angle on the lungs or let it walk.
Hey if that's the creed you want to live by more power to ya. But it's not for me. As I was thinking about this topic I realized that a fair amount of hunters today do not enjoy the same lifestyle I do.
They sit in an office (as one of my customers is a Senator Pro Tem )
and 2 weeks a year is the only time they pick up a weapon. I do daily. My country hunting lifestyle is almost foreign to Todays hunters. The things I take as common knowledge are no longer common in Todays society.
Let's all agree to pass on the outdoor lifestyle with a responsible attitude no matter what your beliefs.
Making an effort to be the best stewards of our natural resources as we can be. We all come from different walks of life and my hope is as hunters we can unite and build a strong hunting heritage for our future hunters.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds very good to me kswild!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Sounds very good to me kswild!!!
Thanks Top. From your posts on this thread and others you are doing just that. Your work with the young hunters deserves a hats off Congratulations! Please keep up the Outstanding work. You sir are an invaluable asset to our Great hunting community.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Golly gee whiz.
I thought my philosophy of wait for a high percentage shot or pass was pretty decent.

?
Old 12-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
As someone who processes deer from September to January every year for the last 10 or so years for local and out of State hunters and myself since 1974 as well as I do taxidermy I can assure you What I have personally witnessed your statement has NOT been the case. Not to say that what you have witnessed is different from my Hands On experience.
Fascinating!
Its not really an opinion.

Animals that bleed more have less blood in them.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Its not really an opinion.

Animals that bleed more have less blood in them.
That is a very true statement. A little biology lesson. Where does the heart pump all the blood to? The brain, hence brain shot (head shot) Where will the blood go? All the domestic hogs I have ever killed were with a shot between the eyes then a cut throat. Then hang them @ no more than 45 degrees. They bleed out just fine. Is this process not allowed for deer? Has worked all my life.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Top. From your posts on this thread and others you are doing just that. Your work with the young hunters deserves a hats off Congratulations! Please keep up the Outstanding work. You sir are an invaluable asset to our Great hunting community.
***Thank you very much for the kind words and now I have a confession to make. I do take head shots every year----those Spring longbeards don't know what's happened when I hit them in the noggin with a load of #5 Winchester Premiums

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-22-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a very true statement. A little biology lesson. Where does the heart pump all the blood to? The brain, hence brain shot (head shot) Where will the blood go? All the domestic hogs I have ever killed were with a shot between the eyes then a cut throat. Then hang them @ no more than 45 degrees. They bleed out just fine. Is this process not allowed for deer? Has worked all my life.
Ive never seen a animal bleed out from a head shot.....have you?

It will certainly work it just leaves more blood in the meat unless your hanging it up and bleeding it right there in the field..

Your doing it exactly right with the domestic hogs. The difference though is being able to hang those up and bleed them straight away preferably while the blood is still pumping.

I'm not telling you your doing it wrong....Just that a head shot in the field leaves more blood in the meat than I shot that causes the animal to bleed out.

Its kind of the same concept as letting a steak rest so the juices disperse rather than drain out when you cut it open.

Last edited by rockport; 12-22-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***Thank you very much for the kind words and now I have a confession to make. I do take head shots every year----those Spring longbeards don't know what's happened when I hit them in the noggin with a load of #5 Winchester Premiums
Not a problem, I meant every word!
I knew you'd come out of the closet on those head shots. Only way to go on them longbeards.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Ive never seen a animal bleed out from a head shot.....have you?
Yes I have! Squirrel & Rabbit! BTW that's the only way I shoot them too. In the Head!

Last edited by kswild; 12-22-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.