Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to Hunting 1 question

Old 12-18-2013, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
OK.
Maybe I was wrong.
I thought the original post sounded like a gag.
Ya think or not! Telling a person he can hunt in one state with a license from another is a good way to get someone in serious trouble. Maybe even someone who came on here as a guest and read your comment and actually believed it. Great gag. Maybe you should delete that one.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
To quote an old friend " Huntings not a sport with us Ok, it's a way of life" Si Robertson
KS, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I was just using convenient language I guess.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Ya think or not! Telling a person he can hunt in one state with a license from another is a good way to get someone in serious trouble. Maybe even someone who came on here as a guest and read your comment and actually believed it. Great gag. Maybe you should delete that one.
Point taken.
I was just responding tongue in cheek to what I thought must be a gag post.

For the record: I strongly advise against trying to hunt in Colorado with a Florida hunting license.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
KS, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I was just using convenient language I guess.
Thanks but it's Si Robertson your agreeing with. I'm only passing along the wisdom!
Old 12-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
With one exception. You can hunt in Colorado on a license from Florida.
Its a new law though, not all the wardens in CO are aware of it just yet.
You may have to explain it to the warden that checks you.
Ummmmmm.....source? I live in Colorado and study the big game manual each year to stay on the right side of the law, and I've never heard of anything remotely like this.

ALL deer tags are done by draw, as are antelope, big horn sheep, mountain goat, and most bear. There are a few bull elk tags sold over-the-counter, but they must be Colorado tags. A few bear tags are sold that way, too, but the over-the-counter tags are only good in a few areas.

I'm thinking you might be confused, as the whole purpose of drawing for tags (and limiting over-the-counter tags to certain areas) is to regulate how many of each game species is harvested.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

To the OP:

Go to Walmart or any sporting goods store. They will have a big rack of that year's hunting laws, usually in pamphlet form, for the type of game you're hunting (big game, small game, waterfowl, etc). Grab one and read it; they're usually free. It will tell you when hunting seasons are each year for each species, what firearms are allowed, etc.

While you're there ask about Hunter Safety courses (some states call them Hunter Education). Each state, to my knowledge, requires you to take the course before buying a license. Even if they don't require it, it would be a good idea.

What are you going to start off hunting? You should learn the species and how to hunt it long before you ever go into the woods. Each one is different! Here in Colorado we have the blessing of multiple species of big game -- deer, antelope, black bear, elk, big horn sheep (2 sub-species!), mountain lions, and mountain goats. Of those, I only know how to hunt deer, antelope, and bear, because each one is different! I've hunted elk, but I wouldn't say I know how

Consider starting off with small game. Squirrels are good eating and easy to learn to hunt. I've never hunted in Florida but surely you have squirrels down there! Rabbits usually require a dog to hunt with, but I've hunted without them.

Waterfowl are a game unto their own. These are hunted with shotguns, not rifles, despite what Hillary Clinton claimed a few years ago (yes, she "went duck hunting with a rifle"). Surely florida, with all its water, has a good duck season! You'll need a boat or blind and a bunch of decoys. A good mentor is a must.

If you don't own any firearms yet, make sure you match the gun you buy with the game you'll be hunting. A .30-06 to hunt rabbits would be a great deer gun, but you're a moron if you hunt rabbits with it! Some states don't allow deer hunting with centerfire rifles, requiring shotguns with slugs, so don't buy anything until you know your state's laws.

Buy a book or two (or check them out from the library) on the game species you'll be hunting. Then find a mentor.

Have fun!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mac266
Ummmmmm.....source? I live in Colorado and study the big game manual each year to stay on the right side of the law, and I've never heard of anything remotely like this.

ALL deer tags are done by draw, as are antelope, big horn sheep, mountain goat, and most bear. There are a few bull elk tags sold over-the-counter, but they must be Colorado tags. A few bear tags are sold that way, too, but the over-the-counter tags are only good in a few areas.

I'm thinking you might be confused, as the whole purpose of drawing for tags (and limiting over-the-counter tags to certain areas) is to regulate how many of each game species is harvested.
You didn't get the joke.