Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to Hunting 1 question

Old 12-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Spike

Default New to Hunting 1 question

Can I just drive into the wilderness miles from civilization and set camp and start hunting? or is everything due process if so what are the beginning guidelines
Old 12-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

This one takes the cake.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Ok I'm gonna try to help ya out buddy. From the sound of it u have never hunted before where are you from. First off depending on your state u must be so many yards away from your vehicle from any road some states a gravel road is still a road and u will need to be so far off them depending.on your state.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Without knowing where your from there really isn't much I can tell u. Every state laws are different. You need to read your state hunting book cover to cover.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Spike

i live in south Florida. but i don't mind traveling to Carolinas Georgia and Tennessee, Kentucky if need be. Basically what im asking is can i hunt undisturbed in wild land. I dont want to hunt in a private ranch i want the element of suprise
Old 12-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

You have to buy a hunting permit called "tags". When you get them, ask for the rule book so that you can stay within the guidelines.

I would also suggest calling your states DNR and ask for advice for a new hunter and they should be able to point you to the right place to learn.

That said, the short answer is yes.. Once you've made yourself legal and you're following hunting rules, you can just drive out to the wilderness (state owned property), set up camp and start hunting.

If it was difficult or required a lot of paperwork or red tape, there wouldn't be so many people doing it.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

My suggestion, if you are in FL go to the FWC website and begin looking over what is available. I was stationed in Pensacola for 4 years and I hunted several of the WMAs there. That is all public land. FL has a surprising amount of public land that you can hunt on.

You will need a hunter safety card, so if you haven't attended a class you need to. You need gear and you need to know about taking care of the animal after it is taken. You would be well advised to find someone to help you the first couple of times you go out.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Typical Buck

I think Muley should step forward and serve as mentor for this new guy.

Anybody second that?
Old 12-17-2013, 02:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
I think Muley should step forward and serve as mentor for this new guy.

Anybody second that?
Nah, look at all the states the new guy says he wants to hunt. No mulies there and we've all seen how much disdain Pete has for whitetails in the east.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
This one takes the cake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.