Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ohio law on finding a dead buck on ur property? >

Ohio law on finding a dead buck on ur property?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ohio law on finding a dead buck on ur property?

Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ohio law on finding a dead buck on ur property?

Ok I found a huge buck that had been shot or hit by a car on my property. It had been dead for awhile and I took the head. Since it is such a unique trophy I would like to get the deer mounted. If I don't use my buck tag this year can I use my tag to tag the antlers and skull to get it mounted? I've looked all over the web and I'm finding different answers. Anyone know? Thanks!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't you think it would have been a better idea to call the ODNR than ask out on the lnternet? Here is what I found right in your Ohio Hunting Regulations booklet, so if I were you I'd follow it and quickly get that deer legal by tagging it and getting it registered as your kill or follow 15 below before you get in more hot water than you already are since you have an untagged animal in your possession.

A Hunter Cannot:

15. Receive or possess a deer or parts of
a deer unless such deer or deer part is
tagged as required, or unless the deer or
part of a deer has a statement showing
when and where legally taken, the date
received, and from whom received; or
an Ohio Division of Wildlife tag, seal, or
certificate or other proof of ownership
which shows the deer was killed by a
motor vehicle in Ohio; or an official tag
or seal and valid nonresident license
issued by another state if taken from
outside Ohio; or certificate of ownership
or receipt issued by a law enforcement
officer. Shed antlers, if found, do
not require a certificate of ownership or
receipt by a wildlife officer.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-16-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like a accidental post and u should delete it now before wrong ones see it. Or not your call. Lol.

Last edited by oliveschoolhunter; 12-16-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call the local DNR office and they will give you the correct information. When we have it happen in Illinois they usually just send a tag to us to put not the deer. We usually have it within a couple day and no one has ever done any sort of follow up.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto what fastetti said.

Personally, I wouldn't mount it...I do a euro mount. Not spending alot on one I didn't kill, regardless of how big it was. I can do an awesome euro for about $10.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like "Poaching" to me.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

In md you need a tag from the DNR to keep skulls.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

The OP is trying to do the right thing.

Call the ODNR, as others have suggested.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murdy
The OP is trying to do the right thing.

Call the ODNR, as others have suggested.
*** I doubt that there are any jurisdictions that you can come up with where you can possess an intact head like that without having your legal hunting tag on it or getting a tag from the jurisdiction that handles road kills, etc., whether it's the County Sheriff or a Game Warden. There aremany jurisdictions where you're not even supposed to take one from the field if you find it BEFORE you get authorization. If it's as good and important as one is to believe, I would have had a call into authorities and got the proper answer well before I started asking out on the internet for cripes sakes!!! I put the actual statute up right out of the regulations in my other post and it is very specific as to how to handle a head with attached antlers.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-17-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TURKEY FAN
Ok I found a huge buck that had been shot or hit by a car on my property. It had been dead for awhile and I took the head. Since it is such a unique trophy I would like to get the deer mounted. If I don't use my buck tag this year can I use my tag to tag the antlers and skull to get it mounted? I've looked all over the web and I'm finding different answers. Anyone know? Thanks!
Well friend, there are a couple of things about your post that made my brain go "Huh?"

First of all, you can't tell if it was hit by a car or shot?

And next, you're asking people on the internet for legal advice, most of whom don't even live in your state?

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking maybe somethin' ain't according to Hoyle here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.