Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Public River Hunting in Kansas? >

Public River Hunting in Kansas?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Public River Hunting in Kansas?

Old 12-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Spike

Default Public River Hunting in Kansas?

There are 3 public rivers in Kansas, the Kansas, the Arkansas (Ar-Kansas), and the Missouri. The KDWP website says that all three are public from high bank to high bank and can be traveled thru, whether they are dry or running, as long as you stay within the high water banks and that you get into that area through public access or private permission. I spoke with some game wardens and they say that it is perfectly legal to hunt in the riverbed so long as you stay within the high water banks and the animal you kill is within them as well.

I have a feeling that you could stir up some trouble with lease holders in whatever area you are hunting even though you would be legal. Wondering if it is worth it...

Has anyone ever done this?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I could see it if there is water that would hold waterfowl and you could shoot birds that would fall within the legal boundary. What else could you shoot, other than maybe a squirrel hanging out over the legal area or a deer crossing the river bed without getting into legal problems where the animal falls outside the boundary and you can't legally retrieve it?! I can see where the property owner/leasee would be very anxious about people doing what you're saying and I don't think it would be worth the hassles you might encounter. However, if the land is public where you can get out and retrieve what you shoot, then that is a fantastic way to access spots that otherwise might be difficult to get to.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-13-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Spike

The area I am talking about is in the western part of the state where the Arkansas River is dry. There are tons of deer all along the river bed. It is a hot spot for big time hunting leases. I would be pursuing the wily whitetail.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

In many states "all navigable waterways" are public domain. I've accessed some pretty good hunting by going in by canoe.
Yes, it pisses off people who think they have it all landlocked, but it's perfectly legal.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

What does the law say about retrieving wounded game on leased property?

No doubt this tactic could lead to some contentious situations.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lease cannot establish private ownership of land that can be accessed by the public. Go ahead and hunt. If anyone gives you trouble, offer to dial up the CO while he's standing there.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
A lease cannot establish private ownership of land that can be accessed by the public. Go ahead and hunt. If anyone gives you trouble, offer to dial up the CO while he's standing there.
That depends on the lease. Here in MN if you are leasing County, or state land not only can you not post it, you can't stop anyone else from accessing the property either.

Another type of lease we have is leasing Potlatch corp. land. Not only can you post them, but Potlatch provides the signs for you. The public has no right to access those leases.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting and killing something in the riverbed between high water marks that is legal is one thing, but unless you down the game within that high water area you would not be able to legally go onto the private property along either bank to retrieve it. It would be a different story if you were using the river to access public land where you could legally hunt, but that is not what the OP has stated in his post! IMHO to do what he's posing is just asking for problems from landowners along that waterway because I would think that the chances of shooting/killing something that stayed in the legal area would be very minimal.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-13-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
***Anybody who follows this ridiculous post/reasoning deserves to get ticketed! In no way can you trespass on deeded or leased private property regardless of whether you walk onto it or get to it by boat or by air. Private property is private property and that's what we're talking about in this thread, not landlocked public land!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-13-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

With SO many fantastic acres in public and WIHA (walk in hunting areas) in Kansas >>> I can show you 1000's of acres.... why would anyone consider hunting this way?? I don't know much about anything but personally I like to err on the side of right. If there is going to be difficulty retrieving a wounded or dead animal then my morals tells me to either have permission to retrieve in advance or I find a better place to hunt.

Just cause it's legal doesn't always mean it's right or neighborly even. It's not what you do when people are lookin that matters, it's what you do when they are not. :0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.