Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Public River Hunting in Kansas? >

Public River Hunting in Kansas?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Public River Hunting in Kansas?

Old 12-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by KyleCulwell
Wow! I don't think I deserved a tongue lashing. You must not have read that I DID NOT do what was aformentioned. I was just posing the question to people to see if in fact anybody else had done it. Yes, I will admit, the thought crossed my mind, as it would any young hunter who has no permission on any land remotely close to home, but gets the occasional offer to go hunting with friends on land of thiers. But, that does not deem me an unneighborly hunter, or worse a trespasser. I am a man of morals and after the deer craze left me and my better judgment filtered in, I reasoned NOT to pursue the endevour.

That is not the kind of hunter that I am or was raised to be. I was just simply posing a question on a public forum to see what others thought. Forgive me of my stupidity for gathering others opinions.
Agreed Kyle, you made the right call, and didn't deserve the butt chewing, but... The thought did cross yer mind... I'm glad you made the right decision.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Kyle,
For what it is worth I think you have every right to hunt the river bottom if it's public land. I've killed quite a few ducks floating such rivers.

Sounds like one of our other members here is one of those lease holders that doesn't want anyone on public land bordering his lease.

Last edited by Bullcamp82834; 12-18-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Come on guys! The OP just made a post completely contradicting what I stated by saying I stated that everything was private property. I was right on the button as to what his post was asking and his reading comprehension sucks! Anything he could legally shoot, be it a bird or a deer, etc. would have to be inside (below) the high water marks that are deemed as public property and they would have to die and STAY within that area to be legally retrieved or he would be trespassing on private property ABOVE the high water marks. How many deer do you think he would find down in an area like that compared to what might be seen up on the private property along the river that would be out of bounds to him! He may have decided not to go through with it, but IMHO he shouldn't have even needed to ask out on a hunting forum because he obviously knew before he asked that he would be stepping on landowner's toes and maybe even on their property if the chance arose to shoot a good buck. Doing what he was asking whether there was water in the river or not would be a great way to legally access otherwise inaccessible landlocked public land, but even if he stayed where he would have to in this private property scenario it would lead most people that had property along there to think he was a poacher, no ifs, ands, or buts!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-18-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Spike

My fault TopGun. I misread your comment., Sorry guys, didn't mean to create such a stir on the forum. I really enjoy reading the threads and hope to continue on as a productive member!

As for the public ground around Dodge City, I have driven countless miles and spent a lot of time on Google Earth looking at Walk-In ground. Almost everything I have seen is worthless wheat stubble or ground with no cover. There is some pretty good pheasant hunting CRP type stuff, but as far as deer go there just isn't much there. There is ONE really nice square mile of ground for deer on the walk in map, but it is no secret. I went out on it a couple time late in the season and didn't see a single deer. It is an absolute peach of a spot too, but it gets hammered because it is about the only good ground for deer.

I really think the KDWP needs to up the ante for good deer habitat pertaining to how much the landowner is paid in compensation. There is just such a shortage of quality walk-in in this area of the state.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

wow...talk about upsetting some peeps. Not knowing what it is like to hunt in those areas I can only say the following:
if it legal its legal. Now if you want to discuss ethics that's another topic. I am sure that the parties leasing said land probably "know the law" ( I would if I were that party). This is really ethics, so lets talk ethics. if you lease it and find a hunter "in between" the high water banks and you "know the law" what do you do? ASK HIM TO LEAVE when you know he is in the right? Shake your head in disbelief? or are you just so mad that you paid your monies and it hasn't cost him a cent ? So WHO is un-ethical now >>> you asking someone to leave when YOU KNOW he is legally in the right. I'm listening. BTW I think this law promoting an issue and Kansas should take a hard look at it .
Old 12-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by KyleCulwell
My fault TopGun. I misread your comment., Sorry guys, didn't mean to create such a stir on the forum. I really enjoy reading the threads and hope to continue on as a productive member!

As for the public ground around Dodge City, I have driven countless miles and spent a lot of time on Google Earth looking at Walk-In ground. Almost everything I have seen is worthless wheat stubble or ground with no cover. There is some pretty good pheasant hunting CRP type stuff, but as far as deer go there just isn't much there. There is ONE really nice square mile of ground for deer on the walk in map, but it is no secret. I went out on it a couple time late in the season and didn't see a single deer. It is an absolute peach of a spot too, but it gets hammered because it is about the only good ground for deer.

I really think the KDWP needs to up the ante for good deer habitat pertaining to how much the landowner is paid in compensation. There is just such a shortage of quality walk-in in this area of the state.
You have nothing to apologize for.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone is facing what the OP is discussing and that is lack of enough habitat in a lot of areas on the available public land or even ones enrolled in some of these private land walkin areas the states are paying for. All the good properties are being leased by groups or outfitters who are then charging an arm and a leg for access. That's just the way it is and it does take creative ways like the OP idea to hunt some areas. However, as I mentioned earlier, this would be a perfect way to access otherwise inaccessible public land in some areas. Knowing that all the land along that river is private could lead to someone pressing trespassing charges even if you were within the public high water marks and completely legal. I don't feel it would be worth the hassle and I would not have much fun worrying about those types of ramifications. We are losing a lot of hunters and the biggest reason in a lot of states is due to a lack of available public land or reasonably priced access to private properties. Sorry for busting your chops Kyle!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-19-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Spike

Some of you guys should try reading Kansas law before commenting on it.

From the 2013 Fishing Regulations pg.6 "Unless otherwise posted, all streams in Kansas other than the Arkansas, Missouri, and Kansas rivers are under private ownership of adjoining landowners. Those three large rivers are public up to the normal high-water line."

From the 2013 Hunting Regulations pg.5 "Landowner permission should be obtained before pursuing wounded game onto private property. If you cannot find the landowner or get permission, contact your local natural resource officer."

So not only is it legal to hunt deer in the three stated river bottoms, if you wound one you have legal options to retrieve it.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ksfowler166
Some of you guys should try reading Kansas law before commenting on it.

From the 2013 Fishing Regulations pg.6 "Unless otherwise posted, all streams in Kansas other than the Arkansas, Missouri, and Kansas rivers are under private ownership of adjoining landowners. Those three large rivers are public up to the normal high-water line."

From the 2013 Hunting Regulations pg.5 "Landowner permission should be obtained before pursuing wounded game onto private property. If you cannot find the landowner or get permission, contact your local natural resource officer."

So not only is it legal to hunt deer in the three stated river bottoms, if you wound one you have legal options to retrieve it.

***You haven't said a thing in your post that we haven't already stated and covered in this thread other than if the deer went above the high water mark he'd have to get permission to retrieve it!!! That really is a given in most jurisdictions and is just common courtesy to the landowner even if it isn't. The problem with that is if there isn't a good blood trail from below the high water marks, the landowner would have good reason to believe the guy was a poacher and actually shot the deer on his private land. That's why a number of us have stated that it's not really worth the hassle to risk alienating the landowners or put yourself in a position to possibly be arrested for poaching.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-10-2014 at 07:24 PM.