Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shooting Through (Blind) Window Screen >

Shooting Through (Blind) Window Screen

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Through (Blind) Window Screen

Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Spike

Default Shooting Through (Blind) Window Screen

I know that I can shoot a broad head through the window screen of my blind, but how about a bullet. Will the bullet be deflected from it's normal path by the screen? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Spike

I would set me a target up outside of your blind and just try it only way to know for sure. You could always use a AP round LOL.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

A bullet is "pushed" by BURNING gun powder. Have a fire extinguisher handy, just in case.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

Never trusted those shot through screens. Never shot through one but thought they would deflect a arrow easily. I also think a rifle bullet would catch the material on fire, but that is my opinion. I all ways used the blinds with out them.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:58 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

I found that with my bow, carbon arrows deflected up by a lot. So I had to use aluminum arrows, which did not deflect. This may have been a tuning problem I will admit, but it happens. I doubt it would deflect a bullet, but as mentioned, target shoot through the window to be sure. Also, note that if you are on public land, you will want to put some blaze orange patches on each side of your blind should a deer get between you and another hunter! Also see what happens with the fire issue when you target shoot - at close range there is some fire out the barrel.

Last edited by MZS; 12-13-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:10 AM
Spike

Thanks for the feedback. I've shot my carbon arrows through the screen and was in the kill zone on my target from 30 yards. I never thought of the fire hazard with a gun. I think I'll use the screens during bow season and take them out for rifle season.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a problem at all. The force generated by the muzzle blast would probably punch a hole through the screen before the bullet even hit it. Remember, the bullet is pushing out 24 inches of air at 3000fps on its way out.

We shot a deer through the screen with a 30-06. The deer was 50 yards out and was hit perfectly. In the screen, there was a hole of about 3/4 inches in diameter, with melted edges. No fire.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Spike

I never would have thought about that column of air coming out of the barrel like that.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never would have thought about that column of air coming out of the barrel like that.
Think about that muzzle blast. Also, that bullet makes an air-tight seal in the barrel. It's almost like the piston in an air rifle. I think I read somewhere about the pros and cons of putting a little scotch tape over your barrel in a pouring rain. they also mentioned that it would be blown off before the bullet got there.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

It sounds like many people have no idea of the amount of fire/heat that also comes out of a gun barrel when you touch a round off. No way would I shoot a gun through any of that fabric and many of the blinds tell you right on the tag not to, but I guess most guys don't read directions, LOL! Covering the end of the barrel with tape or a baloon/condom is completely different and isn't an obstruction like in the barrel that will cause bad things to happen to the gun and shooter.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-13-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.