Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shooting Through (Blind) Window Screen >

Shooting Through (Blind) Window Screen

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Through (Blind) Window Screen

Old 12-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

My concern would be with poly tipped rounds starting to mushroom after passing through the material, then tumbling. Keep the door open when planning to do it for the first time, just in case.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BIG TUNA
My concern would be with poly tipped rounds starting to mushroom after passing through the material, then tumbling. Keep the door open when planning to do it for the first time, just in case.
***That won't happen just going through a light piece of material like we're talking about. It takes some pretty solid material that represents good resistance before a bullet will start to expand whether it has a poly tip or is a straight soft point with a lead tip.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Think about that muzzle blast. Also, that bullet makes an air-tight seal in the barrel. It's almost like the piston in an air rifle. I think I read somewhere about the pros and cons of putting a little scotch tape over your barrel in a pouring rain. they also mentioned that it would be blown off before the bullet got there.
We tested the tape on the barrel theory. It didn't make a difference. We used from scotch tape, electrical tape, masking tape, even duct tape. All shots were dead nuts on. We used rifles, slugguns, muzzle loaders and even my single shot pistols. Didn't matter. We did it for the rain concept and snow as well.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Except for the occasional piece of tape on my barrels, I don't shoot through stuff.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tested it at 200 yards. First 2 shots outside the blind dead on. 3rd shot through the blind also dead on. HOWEVER, the mesh had a melted hole about 6 inches wide.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DannyD
I tested it at 200 yards. First 2 shots outside the blind dead on. 3rd shot through the blind also dead on. HOWEVER, the mesh had a melted hole about 6 inches wide.
Well yeah. But problem solved. No more mesh to shoot through!!!!! We bought and substituted mesh with each shot through it. Kinda a PITA to do, but was worth the end results and piece of mind.