Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best way to elevate ground blind 6-10 ft? >

Best way to elevate ground blind 6-10 ft?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best way to elevate ground blind 6-10 ft?

Old 12-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Spike

Default Best way to elevate ground blind 6-10 ft?

I have a nice big game ravage pop up blind but want to elevate it for next year so I can view deer movement across more of the property. Whats the cheapest/easiest way to go about doing this? Build a custom wooden platform or buy a pre-made metal platform kit? Need advice!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If yer looking fer cheap, or easy I wish you good luck!!!

It usually doesn't work that way.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Spike

You can get steel 4x4 elevators from the Sportsman's Guide website for $90 for four of them. Just go to their website and search steel elevator and you will find them. We used them on all of our elevated blinds. Not sure why you are elevating a pop up blind though.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

I thought about doing that...put it on a wooden platform. But knowing my luck I will forget it's in the air and lean against the blind and fall out!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Kev32
I have a nice big game ravage pop up blind but want to elevate it for next year so I can view deer movement across more of the property. Whats the cheapest/easiest way to go about doing this? Build a custom wooden platform or buy a pre-made metal platform kit? Need advice!
Depends on your situation.. Do you need to move it or will it be permanent?

If you need to move it, I'm thinking a couple of those funky fold-em-all-ways ladders would do the trick..

If its going to be permanent, DEFINITELY get some treated 4x4's ($8 each?) and sink them into the ground to your frost line. Build from that.

Also, there is a world of difference between 6 feet and 10 feet. Falling from 6 usually just ruins your day and makes you feel stupid.. Falling from 10 can break bones or even kill you.

Be careful.. use the right hardware and don't cut corners (get it? Cut corners! ROFLMAO).. I crack myself up.. hehehe..
Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

There's a couple of books out there that give plans about kids tree houses. Some of the best plans/templates for treestands and platforms I've ever came across. Also, this year I changed the flooring in one of my elevated blinds to the composite decking that I found for free on, yes, craigs list….
Old 12-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Iron Archer
I thought about doing that...put it on a wooden platform. But knowing my luck I will forget it's in the air and lean against the blind and fall out!!!
I thought of that too...but you could put a handrail around the whole thing so you don't fall out...
Old 12-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Id go with the 4x4's.. Maybe 10 footers. Bury them 3 feet in the ground. Build a 2x6 frame on top and lay plywood on it. Might be good to put a few cross supports on the 4x4's
Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
You can get steel 4x4 elevators from the Sportsman's Guide website for $90 for four of them. Just go to their website and search steel elevator and you will find them. We used them on all of our elevated blinds. Not sure why you are elevating a pop up blind though.
Do this and don't worry about burying it. The would just attach cross beams with two x fours and you should be all set.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
I thought of that too...but you could put a handrail around the whole thing so you don't fall out...
That is a must. It's not safe unless you have a rail running the perimeter. Tie downs to the platform are a must as well if you want your blind to survive through the wind and other harsh elements.

VA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.