Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Long Island Deer killed by sharpshooters >

Long Island Deer killed by sharpshooters

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Long Island Deer killed by sharpshooters

Old 12-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

They did this in Valley Forge Park and they really thinned that place out. You used to be able to drive through (in the middle iof the day, even) and see hundreds of deer. Now, you're lucky to see one or two. It needed it, though. They were way too over-populated in Valley Forge Park.

There is a prison and a park near me that allows hunting. They have a lottery draw and a short hunt for whoever can draw a tag. At the park, it was either sex the first year. They made it all doe because people were holding out for one of the huge bucks in there instead of shooting doe.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Spike

I worked on an island with 500 acres and a deer head count at around 600. Every couple years the island (which was a state park) would hold a lottery hunt to thin the herd. I don't know how or when this was done, but I used to drive horses and wagons around for tourists and we'd see a lot of huge bucks during the day, almost so close to the wagons that the tourists could touch them.

We once had a mini "race" where I pushed the deer off the wagon road and they started running alongside it, so I pressed the horses to meet the deer speed. Got some extra tips from the toursist that day!
Old 12-14-2013, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Such "hunting" would ruin a normal hunter

Sharpshooters are used because it is shooting and not hunting.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Even though it is needed in areas, when that was done around here it was disgusting. "Hired sharpshooters" were cops. This happened back in the 90's and I believe they killed like 160 deer. I remember reading in the paper the breakdown in fee's. It was like $20,000 in ammo alone. Plus well we needed to pay the boys in blue overtime for all this and when the numbers came out the amount of venison actually donated it was like 10% of what was killed. Sign, me up and can do better than that.