Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Should I stop putting out corn? >

Should I stop putting out corn?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should I stop putting out corn?

Old 12-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Spike

Default Should I stop putting out corn?

I planted thro and gro from evolve harvest and it has grown in great but it seems the deer haven't touched it I also have corn at these same spots too. Should I try not putting corn out for awhile and see if they go to the food plots? I would like to get away from using corn I know the food plots are better for them but they seem to like the corn.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not this time of year. Corn is good this time of year.

I should add that I'm speaking from experience in my area....yours could be different.

In some areas you could prevent the deer from migrating to wintering spots or have problems with digestion

Last edited by rockport; 12-09-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Spike

What about like around spring time and summer should I use plots that time of year? Also alot of my property is pines that I cant cut so is spreading plot acreage out over several different food plots ok to keep more deer instead of one big food plot? Also I am located in North Central Florida sorry I didnt add that info before.

Last edited by tcross1; 12-09-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tcross1
What about like around spring time and summer should I use plots that time of year? Also alot of my property is pines that I cant cut so is spreading plot acreage out over several different food plots ok to keep more deer instead of one big food plot?
I don't really do food plots. I live in crop land so I just hunt what is already there.

I think spreading them out is probably good. I think the most important thing is probably finding out what works best in your areas and what time of year it works.

LOL Maybe somebody that actually knows what they are talking about will chime in and help you out more than I can.

If I were you I would include more info. Where are you? What type of soil etc?

You will probably get more feedback if people have the info they need to help you right off the bat.

Last edited by rockport; 12-09-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Spike

I live in north central florida in suwannee county.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in north central florida in suwannee county.
Yeah that is way out of my league
Old 12-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Spike

Also this is a more general question you might can answer lol. The biggest open field I have is about 100-200 yards behind my house but I know that some deer still walk through there if I plant a bigger plot there not as a kill plot just to sustain more deer on the land do you think they would use it?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Spike

if people around you have corn out and you quit, chances are the deer will just go to their corn piles. if nobody else has them out around you, then they probably will go to your food plot. thats my experience anyway
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by thatredneckrockerdude1
if people around you have corn out and you quit, chances are the deer will just go to their corn piles. if nobody else has them out around you, then they probably will go to your food plot. thats my experience anyway
***Therein lies the whole problem with states allowing any baiting to begin with! Baiting makes deer lazy and even more nocturnal than they already are with mostly only does, fawns and small bucks coming to the piles during legal shooting hours. IMHO it's the lazy way to hunt and rather than spending some time and trying to pattern the deer you are trying to make them change their whole routine.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also this is a more general question you might can answer lol. The biggest open field I have is about 100-200 yards behind my house but I know that some deer still walk through there if I plant a bigger plot there not as a kill plot just to sustain more deer on the land do you think they would use it?
To your earlier question, IMO having several food plots is a good idea. In natural settings deer will often visit more than one feeding area during a feeding cycle.

To this question, yes deer will utilize that food plot, here's a pic from my backdoor, this deer is only about 20yds from the house. I've also had 3 bucks feeding back there at the same time, but didn't have a digital cam, or a computer at that time, so I don't have pics of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.