Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

37 degrees and raining

Old 12-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

The big buck I have been hunting for the last few years has only ever showed himself to me once during the day, ever, and It was in a steady pouring rain.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive seen them run for cover in a heavy downpour...the last doe I shot was when it just started to rain...
Old 12-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dude, don't you think you're getting carried away? ^
Old 12-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by worth13
I am waiting to go this afternoon but it is pouring. No the rut in tenn is close but maybe 2 weeks out. No just hard woods

The big boy I killed last year walked out 10 minutes after a steady downpour ended. I've seen many a deer in the rain. My rule-of-thumb: When it's uncomfortable for me, is when I'll see deer.

Where do you live in Tennessee? You mentioned the rut is close. I live in Middle Tennessee, and from what I've seen, a lot of the mature bucks are locked-up with does.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in MN. on a cool rainy fall day, as long as the winds are calm, most deer will be active all day.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I"ll sit a couple hours in the rain. If the deer are not moving, I'll leave the stand and still-hunt. The rain makes the walking quiet, and I've see quite a few bedded deer this way. If you have some land you can hunt in this manner, I'd say give it a go. Just go nice and slow, and look in all directions before you move. Don't take more than a few steps and then scan everything again. When the squirrels pay you no attention, you're doing it about right. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I"ll sit a couple hours in the rain. If the deer are not moving, I'll leave the stand and still-hunt. The rain makes the walking quiet, and I've see quite a few bedded deer this way. If you have some land you can hunt in this manner, I'd say give it a go. Just go nice and slow, and look in all directions before you move. Don't take more than a few steps and then scan everything again. When the squirrels pay you no attention, you're doing it about right. Good luck.
Good advice here

My 2 cents is get a stainless firearm if you like hunting in the rain.I don't like rust on my guns.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ha, a lot of hunters won't find out in that weather. And sometimes you don't see a deer.
For me, a lot depended on what state I lived in. If it was a short season I went out. If it was a long season I'd pass.
I remember every hunting day it was a dank, damp rainy day in the thirties.

Last edited by Valentine; 12-14-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Spike

I am near the Alabama line. They are starting to chase now
Old 12-15-2013, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I can't shoot them from the couch, I have to get up to open the door or window.

I've had them come into the yard during a thunder storm and pouring rain to eat then lay down. They will get up and stretch and shake the moisture off best they can and then lay back down.

Al