HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   37 degrees and raining (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/387866-37-degrees-raining.html)

kenified06 12-06-2013 03:38 PM

The big buck I have been hunting for the last few years has only ever showed himself to me once during the day, ever, and It was in a steady pouring rain.

Wilcam47 12-07-2013 08:34 AM

Ive seen them run for cover in a heavy downpour...the last doe I shot was when it just started to rain...

early in 12-07-2013 02:15 PM

Dude, don't you think you're getting carried away? ^ :hit:

JasonL 12-07-2013 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by worth13 (Post 4105324)
I am waiting to go this afternoon but it is pouring. No the rut in tenn is close but maybe 2 weeks out. No just hard woods

The big boy I killed last year walked out 10 minutes after a steady downpour ended. I've seen many a deer in the rain. My rule-of-thumb: When it's uncomfortable for me, is when I'll see deer.

Where do you live in Tennessee? You mentioned the rut is close. I live in Middle Tennessee, and from what I've seen, a lot of the mature bucks are locked-up with does.

Lunkerdog 12-07-2013 03:25 PM

Here in MN. on a cool rainy fall day, as long as the winds are calm, most deer will be active all day.

UncleNorby 12-09-2013 12:06 PM

I"ll sit a couple hours in the rain. If the deer are not moving, I'll leave the stand and still-hunt. The rain makes the walking quiet, and I've see quite a few bedded deer this way. If you have some land you can hunt in this manner, I'd say give it a go. Just go nice and slow, and look in all directions before you move. Don't take more than a few steps and then scan everything again. When the squirrels pay you no attention, you're doing it about right. Good luck.

d80hunter 12-13-2013 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by UncleNorby (Post 4106114)
I"ll sit a couple hours in the rain. If the deer are not moving, I'll leave the stand and still-hunt. The rain makes the walking quiet, and I've see quite a few bedded deer this way. If you have some land you can hunt in this manner, I'd say give it a go. Just go nice and slow, and look in all directions before you move. Don't take more than a few steps and then scan everything again. When the squirrels pay you no attention, you're doing it about right. Good luck.

Good advice here

My 2 cents is get a stainless firearm if you like hunting in the rain.I don't like rust on my guns.

Valentine 12-14-2013 03:19 AM

Ha, a lot of hunters won't find out in that weather. And sometimes you don't see a deer.
For me, a lot depended on what state I lived in. If it was a short season I went out. If it was a long season I'd pass.
I remember every hunting day it was a dank, damp rainy day in the thirties.

worth13 12-14-2013 10:56 AM

I am near the Alabama line. They are starting to chase now

alleyyooper 12-15-2013 02:23 AM

I can't shoot them from the couch, I have to get up to open the door or window.

I've had them come into the yard during a thunder storm and pouring rain to eat then lay down. They will get up and stretch and shake the moisture off best they can and then lay back down.

:D Al