Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Can't find any fresh deer signs >

Can't find any fresh deer signs

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can't find any fresh deer signs

Old 12-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the acorns have dried up try adding a feeder.Get the doe's back and the bucks will follow.I hunt N Florida and haven't see any big bucks yet but I know they are there.Doe's are coming to my food plots and since the rut should be starting soon I know the bucks will show up.It would help if we had some cold weather again.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Spike

Yea the warm weather doesn't to be helping we do have doe feeding here. Ive also seen a couple scrapes but several rubs is there a way to determine how old they are? I know they aren't fresh since it seems dried up on the tree
Old 12-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by tcross1
Yea the warm weather doesn't to be helping we do have doe feeding here. Ive also seen a couple scrapes but several rubs is there a way to determine how old they are? I know they aren't fresh since it seems dried up on the tree
***About the only way to tell if a rub is fresh is if it is still wet or if you were there in the last day or two before you found it and it wasn't there on your first trip. Low humidity and wind can dry a rub up quickly making one look old when it isn't.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Can't find any deer signs?

Here's some:

http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb3...gns-176810.jpg
Old 12-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
I never hunted Fla but I hunted Ga quite a bit. The Ga rut peaked about the second week of Nov and ran on into Dec.
Big difference between Fla and Ga apparently.
This guy doesn't say where he is in N. FL, but I lived in Pensacola for 4 years. In that area, the peak of the rut usually hit around Martin Luther King Day in the 3rd week of Jan. That area has one of the latest ruts in the nation. They had a late muzzleloader season that ran until the end of Feb and I always saw rut signs clear up to the middle of that season.

Hunting the rut that late took some getting used to since it was so out of line from what I was used to.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer have horns?

have you looked all over the 100acres? They prob are around just not by your stands...
Old 12-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Spike

I live in live oak which is in north central florida and our hunting season ends jan. 14.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

With my trusty crossbow this season in zone D we can hunt till March2.Someone finally figured out the rut here is late.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Spike

As the obvious has been stated, because of hunting season, the increase of human activity force the deer to change their patterns in eating or bedding. They may move to other areas that provide more shelter and less human intervention. They may began to feed at night especially if there is a full moon.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
Deer have horns?

have you looked all over the 100acres? They prob are around just not by your stands...
Hah!! I have watched a buck bed 75yds in a fresh cut over. All I could see were his eyes. I would have never known there was a deer there if I did not watch him lay down. He never moved a muscle for over an hour.