HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   using dads gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/387859-using-dads-gun.html)

Bbj270 12-06-2013 05:41 AM

using dads gun

This Sat is last day for me and my dad to deer hunt this year. We did pretty good 5 deer 4 does and a 6 pointer 5 on one side other broke off right before brow tine. Dad wants to use his father's rifle now to kill deer. Hopefully he can get it done the tomorrow. It is a schultz and larzen model 54j in 7x61 sharp and hart. It has a Lyman all American 6x scope. He bought with the income tax return he got when my dad was born in 1954. Anybody have a schultz and Larsen rifle or a 7x61.

kenified06 12-06-2013 03:40 PM

Never heard of one

Topgun 3006 12-06-2013 03:52 PM

I hadn't heard of them either, so I did a search. The rifles they make look like some high quality stuff that would cost a fortune! Here is their history off their website:

The Shultz & Larsen Rifle Company was founded in 1889 by gunmaker Hans Schultz. He was keen target shooter and hunter but found that the quality he required for his own rifles was only available in costly custom-made guns. He therefore decided to start producing hunting and target shooting rifles where the emphasis was on first class craftsmanship and a high degree of accuracy. This tradition has been the hallmark of the company ever since, and to this day each rifle made still complies with the exacting standards set by Hans Schultz of quality, strength and extreme accuracy.

Lunkerdog 12-06-2013 04:28 PM

I'd never heard of the cartridge before either. I looked in a couple of my manuals, and didn't have any load data for it. But the data is no doubt out there some where.

I then looked in my Midway catalog and found brass for a 7x61 Sharp and Hart, which led me to this, it looks like a great cartridge. Tho it seems that today it's a hand load only cartridge

7×61mm Sharpe & Hart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bbj270 12-06-2013 05:23 PM

Yes only Norma load ammo for it. They stoped about 25years ago. Got two sets of rcbs dies and about 300 New brass and 10 box's of factory ammo. They don't import Comerica anymore. Weatherby used they actions on there first 375 weatherby. I have a target 22 made by them it is a model 70. The 7x61 is about 7mm wby performance. I by every box of ammo I can afford.

Lunkerdog 12-06-2013 06:11 PM

That's pretty dang cool... You have what seems to be a very rare rifle, with a rare cartridge, at least in the U.S. For some, it don't get no better!!!

flags 12-06-2013 10:56 PM

I've heard of both the cartridge and the rifle but have actually seen one. I know a guy in South Africa that swears by the 7x64. Ballistically both rounds woule be about the equal of the 7mm Rem and the 7mm Wby. A few fps between them won't make much of an impact on game.

I lost my father last Sept to lung cancer. This fall I'll hunt deer with his old 7mm Rem Mag. He bought it in 1963, the year I was born and the 2nd year the cartridge existed.

Bbj270 12-07-2013 03:44 AM

I seen one other at a gun show maybe 10 years ago. Seen a custom Kaiser at cabelas in pa about two years ago in 7x61. A local gun shop had a newer model 60 in 308 Norma but they want to much for it. Norma loaded first 160 grain bullets then later changed name to 7x61 super in 154. Grandfather reloaded 160 noslers and 160 gSierra bullets.