Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunting Insurance - Opinions?? >

Hunting Insurance - Opinions??

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Insurance - Opinions??

Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Spike

Default Hunting Insurance - Opinions??

So I have been talking to a land owner for the last few months about bowhunting permission on his land. This land is in a small town and is in more of a urban type setting however it is about 300 acres with 50% of it wooded. He is a developer and this parcel someday might be a subdivision, but I am not worried about this because I think it is in the far future. Anyways his hold up with granting permission is the fact that he does not want any of the liability issues. I told him that I would be willing to sign something stating the I would take full responsibility of any injuries that I may cause. He is worried that say I was to accidently shoot someone and they sued me, If I could settled the amount owed then it would come back at him. I can understand in a sense where he is coming from, because this is his career and business.

So My question is has anybody ever purchased Hunter Liabilty Insurance http://www.qdma.com/corporate/hunting-land-insurance ..
It seems like this would be just what he is looking for and it is fairly reasonable $200/season. I woulded have a issues with the price since a lease is far more and the Land is minutes from my home. Just curious if anybody has run into this or has any other ideas.... Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

I had a hunter who wanted to hunt on my land and was worried about the same thing..

As it turns out, land owners in Michigan are shielded from any liability stemming from allowing a hunter to hunt..

It helps alleviate congestion in public lands, and helps control the deer population where almost all land is private.

I'd bet that almost all popular hunting states have the same rules concerning this type of stuff. I suggest you check..
Old 12-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Well this took about 30 seconds to find:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/VPA/
Under sec. 895.52 of the Wisconsin Statutes, landowners are generally immune from liability for injuries received by individuals recreating on their lands. This law provides liability protection to landowners for injury or death of individuals participating in outdoor recreation. Courts have consistently interpreted this statute to protect landowners in furtherance of its purpose, which is to encourage landowners to allow others to recreate on their lands.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats Murby! You got that OP post question taken care of in a record 16 minutes!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Congrats Murby! You got that OP post question taken care of in a record 16 minutes!!!
Thank you! It's a lot easier when you don't have other members suggesting booby traps.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Again I'll say be careful folks... I'm not a moderator here, but have seen things happen in the past... Sometimes it's best to let things go...

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 12-03-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Spike

Hail Murby....

A simple lease agreement says the same thing. The question is however will that cover the landowner if a stray arrow hit someone in the neighboring property. Please don't get on a rampage about stray arrow comment just using the wording the landowner described...
From what I read the law only protects the land owner from the hunter..
Old 12-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can also have a Waiver made up with different issues addressed to cover the Land Owner from being Sued,You sign and any Witnesses and have it Noterized.I was also wanting to check into Insurance also to keep a few Land Owners/Neighbors happy and at ease that are worried about allowing Us to Hunt Their Property.There are several Places we can't Hunt because the Land Owners are worried someone will get hurt or possibly have Their Livestock shot or injured or the Person/Persons Hunting there will be injured and Sue them?

Last edited by GTOHunter; 12-03-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Spike

Well thats kind of my thought, it's seems cheap enough and it gets me permission somewhere to hunt. just curious if anybody has ever actually used it. Thanks GTO
Old 12-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Before you spend money on the hunting policy, if you have homeowners or renters insurance, you probably have a certain amount of personal liability under that policy. Call your agent/company and have them explain what it covers. I know I had $100k on my last renters, not sure on my current homeowners, but I think it's fairly common. That may cover you and most states don't allow you to recover twice for the same accident even if you have two policies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.