HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   spotted fawn (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/387737-spotted-fawn.html)

Bbj270 12-02-2013 04:15 PM

spotted fawn

Last Friday November 29 while hunting I saw a spotted fawn. It was with a big doe and one from last year. The middle sized doe was the normal color for this time of year. The adult doe was still in its summer red coat. I guess she w as s the mother of the spotted fawn. Has anyone seen a spotted fawn this late or later. My dad said he seen one year's ago on thanksgiving.

rockport 12-02-2013 04:33 PM

yep, its just a re breed. The doe probably either didn't take a few times around or miscarried and came in heat late.

Deer can and do breed all year around.

Topgun 3006 12-02-2013 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4103837)
yep, its just a re breed. The doe probably either didn't take a few times around or miscarried and came in heat late.

Deer can and do breed all year around.

***Deer don't and can't breed all year around. A doe may cycle in a few times if she isn't bred, but if the bucks are not hard-horned they don't have the testosterone level to breed a doe even if she comes in at a weird time of the year. Studies show that a doe may come into heat about 5 times starting in October at this latitude until the bucks lose their antlers and that doesn't happen until late winter in some bucks. I saw twin spotted fawns once back in the late 60s during our November deer season here in southern Michigan and one that is dropped in late May to early June like is normal up here would have lost it's spots by September at the latest.

kenified06 12-02-2013 05:53 PM

About 5 years ago I seen a spotted fawn around thanksgiving myself. It was only about 20 pounds and looked to have just been born. That would put the doe being bred after may 1st. Makes no sense at all and doesn't seem possible. I cant find another explanation for it though.

rockport 12-02-2013 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4103865)
***Deer don't and can't breed all year around. A doe may cycle in a few times if she isn't bred, but if the bucks are not hard-horned they don't have the testosterone level to breed a doe even if she comes in at a weird time of the year. Studies show that a doe may come into heat about 5 times starting in October at this latitude until the bucks lose their antlers and that doesn't happen until late winter in some bucks. I saw twin spotted fawns once back in the late 60s during our November deer season here in southern Michigan and one that is dropped in late May to early June like is normal up here would have lost it's spots by September at the latest.

I just read the other day that fawns have been found in every month of the year...I'll try to find it.

mid January is the latest I have witnessed breeding with my own eyes which would leave them having spots now. My buddy shot the mature buck that was breeding the doe. 4 more bucks were in pursuit one of which had already shed one of his antlers.

I have seen quite a few fawns that had to be conceived when they were not supposed to be.

Topgun 3006 12-02-2013 06:52 PM

It all depends on the latitude you're talking about. Deer up here in the midwest breed in late October through November and fawns of the year sometimes will come in and be bred in December and even into January. Deer down in Texas on into Mexico don't breed until well into December on through January. Does down there could be bred on into Spring if they are missed in a few cycles. That may be what you mean when you say you read fawns have been seen in just about every month.

rockport 12-02-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4103882)
It all depends on the latitude you're talking about. Deer up here in the midwest breed in late October through November and fawns of the year sometimes will come in and be bred in December and even into January. Deer down in Texas on into Mexico don't breed until well into December on through January. Does down there could be bred on into Spring if they are missed in a few cycles. That may be what you mean when you say you read fawns have been seen in just about every month.

I'm in IL and most of the breeding here is mid-late November but ive seen all kinds of crazy things from doe with antlers(even big antlers), deer that don't shed their antlers to fawns at crazy times of the year.

Growing up we had an unreal deer population though. Like it was nothing to drive 10 miles of an evening and count 1000+ deer.

Bbj270 12-02-2013 07:10 PM

This was in West Virginia. The fawn had clearly visible white spots.

rockport 12-02-2013 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bbj270 (Post 4103885)
This was in West Virginia. The fawn had clearly visible white spots.

When does your rut usually peak?

flags 12-03-2013 12:18 AM

I spent 4 years in Pensacola, FL and the peak of the rut there usually hit right around Martin Luther King Day. There is a late muzzleoader season in FL that runs to the end of Feb and I always saw at least some sign (scrapes, rubs, buck hot on the does etc...) for most of that season. In VA, where I'm stationed right now, the rut normally hits around Thanksgiving. In CO where I was raised the rut hits late Nov oor early Dec.

The farther South you go, the later the rut is. I'm not sure about the deer farther South than Mexico though. Whitetails is some form exist clear down into Central America. I know a guy that hunts Guyana and he does some guiding for whitetails in the tropics there.

I admit I've never seen spotted fawn while hunting but I did see an elk calf once with spots during CO's muzzleloader season years ago. That would have been late Sept or early Oct.