Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Crazy (successful) first day

Old 12-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Spike

Default Crazy (successful) first day

So, I got in my stand at dark. Around 7:30 I saw a half rack about 230 yards out. Watched him make his way. At about 9:15 the half rack showed back up about 100 yards in front of me moving down the hill from right to left. I was glassing him and he disappeared. I scanned and he popped back up, but turned back up the hill as if he was startled. I kept watching and he turned back around and puffed out his chest. I caught movement to my left and there was another buck. They engaged each other. The second buck had both sides and presented a broadside shot, so I took him. He dropped in his tracks. I waited about 20 minutes and climbed down. Got to him and here's what I found.

His right side broke off in the dirt, but the antler didn't break, his skull did. There was brain tissue and a hole in his skull. Young 8. I got caught up in the excitement of the two sparring and have now experienced "ground shrinkage". Overall it was a good day.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good! I think the fact they were fighting adds to it.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Spike

Still a great story and congrats on the nice buck! I've never got to see bucks spar, it's gotta be neat. I got a half rack a little smaller than yours about 5 years ago. His skull was cracked and he had big hole out of his skull where the antler had broke off. It's amazing how tough deer can be. Now I use his antler and a shed I found for rattling.